The engine and one of the coaches of Kannur-Ernakulam express train derailed on Tuesday at Kannur, about 90 kms from Kozhikode, but no one was injured, a Southern Railway official said.
The incident occurred around 4.15 AM while backing the rakes from the yard to platform during shunting works, PRO,Southern Railway, R Gopinath said.
The derailment led to a delay of nearly one-and-a-half hour in train’s departure.The train which was scheduled to leave at 5 AM, left Kannur at 6.35 AM with a spare engine.
However, traffic in the route was not affected due to the derailment, he added.
A break down van with crane has been pressed into service to set the engine right, the official said, adding that none
were injured in the incident.
- Puri-Haridwar-Kalinga Utkal Express derails: List of train mishaps that took place in 2017
- Hirakhand express derailment: A look at train accidents in recent months
- Sealdah Ajmer Express derailment: All the train accidents reported in 2016
- Kerala: 12 coaches of Thiruvananthapuram-Mangalore express train derail, none injured
- Initial probe blames it on soil erosion
- Traffic resumes after 40 hrs,probe from today