Toeing the protocol put in place by President Pranab Mukherjee, Tamil Nadu Governor Ch Vidyasagar Rao on Sunday said only the word “Honourable” should be prefixed to his name and not “His Excellency.” “Ch Vidyasagar Rao, the Governor of Tamil Nadu, has directed that henceforth on all ceremonial occasions and in official and other communications, the word Honourable Governor or its Tamil equivalent Maanbumigu Aalunar, may be used,” a Raj Bhavan release said in Chennai.
Watch What Else is Making News
In a departure from the British era practise of addressing Governors as “His Excellency,” Rao directed that “the present practise of using the salutation His Excellency the Governor, or the Tamil equivalent Methagu Aalunar, may be discontinued.”
However, the salutation “His Excellency” will continue to be used in interaction with foreign dignitaries, the release said.
In 2012, President Pranab Mukherjee had introduced a new protocol for greeting Constitutional heads, the President and state Governors.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
According to it, the salutation “His Excellency” was replaced with “Honourable President” and “Honourable Governor.”
Preceding the name of the dignitaries would be the Indian greeting “Shri” or “Smt” The reference “His Excellency” was, however, retained for occasions involving interactions with foreign dignitaries in line with international practise.
After taking over as Governor of Kerala in 2014, former Chief Justice of India, P Sathasivam too had dispensed with the practise of using the words “His Excellency.”