A day after accusing the BJP of raking up the Cauvery issue for electoral gains in Karnataka, DMK on Tuesday made a similar charge against the ruling Congress in the neighbouring state. Referring to Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramiah’s insistence on building a dam across Cauvery river at Mekedatu, DMK President M Karunanidhi said both Congress and BJP were doing such things with an eye on the 2018 Assembly elections.
While the Mekedatu project was initially proposed to address the drinking water needs of Bengaluru, “Chief Minister Siddaramiah now says there are plans to produce 400 MW of power also,” he said in a statement. “Congress and BJP have already started fighting to win the elections and Congress’ present activities are only a part of that,” he added.
Criticising the BJP-led NDA government at the Centre on the issue of constituting the Cauvery Management Board, Karunanidhi said it had not acted in Tamil Nadu’s favour in this matter, adding “How can it be expected to act fairly on the Mekedatu” issue.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
The Centre has come under widespread criticism in Tamil Nadu after it sought modification of a Supreme Court directive on constitution of the CMB.