Now wait-listed and RAC (reservation against cancellation) train ticket holders can cancel their tickets by dialling 139.
Earlier only confirmed ticket holders could cancel their tickets through 139 service and IRCTC website. Now the facility can be used for cancellation of RAC and wait-listed tickets also.
While booking tickets was a problem, cancelling those booked tickets and getting refunds were more problematic. So now cancellation of tickets has been made easy through introduction of this facility, Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu said in New Delhi on Wednesday after launching 139 service for RAC and wait-listed tickets.
- Special trains, alternative train option for waitlisted passengers; Indian Railways prepares for summer rush
- Train ticket cancellation service over phone to be launched
- Now, cancelling train tickets will be just a phone call away
- Railways plan to double ticket cancellation charges kicks in
- Now e-catering to bring leading food chains to your train seat
- SMS alert service for waitlisted rail passengers launched
Online cancellation through 139 will be permitted only 4 hours before the scheduled departure of the train in case of confirmed tickets and upto half an hour before the scheduled departure of the train in case of RAC and wait-listed tickets.
Besides the option of cancellation of tickets at the counter is also available for passengers.
Prabhu said the facility was promised in the Rail Budget and railways was committed to fulfill it.