PM Modi on demonetisation: Bear pain for 50 days, then punish me

PM Modi warns of action against benami property, says more ‘projects’ in mind.

Written by Harsha Raj Gatty , Johnson T A | Panaji/ Bengaluru | Updated: November 14, 2016 10:09 pm
modi, modi speech, modi demonetisation pm modi, narendra modi, banks, atm, 500 notes, currency, congress, opposition, modi currency, black money, modi black money, corruption Prime Minister Narendra Modi addressing the gathering during foundation stone laying ceremony of Greenfield Airport in Mopa, Goa on Sunday. (Source: PTI)

PRIME MINISTER Narendra Modi on Sunday appealed to the people to support the demonetisation of Rs 500 and Rs 1,000 notes, asking them to bear the “pain” for “50 days” to help him deliver the “India of your dreams”. He also reiterated his warning that several other “projects” were in the pipeline to check corruption, including action against benami property.

“Maine sirf pachas din mange hai… December 30 tak mujhe mauka dijiye… Agar December 30 ke baad, koi meri kami rehjaye, koi meri galti nikal jaye, koi meri galat irada nikal jaye, aap jis chaurahe main mujhe khada karenge, main khada hokarke desh jo saza karega, wo saza bhugatne ke liye taiyyar hoon (I have only asked for 50 days. Give me time till December 30. After that, if any fault is found in my intentions or my actions, I am willing to suffer any punishment given by the country),” he said, speaking at the foundation stone laying ceremony of the Mopa airport in Goa.

WATCH VIDEO: PM Modi Reveals How He Planned Demonetisation Gradually In 10 Months

Modi said he was ready to face the consequences of his decision. “I know that I have taken up a fight with some forces… They may not spare me, they may ruin me because their loot of 70 years is in trouble. But it does not bother me,” he said.

“I was not born to occupy the high chair,” he said. At this point, he was visibly emotional, and paused for a while before continuing. “I have left my home, my family for the sake of the country,” he said.

“I promise you I will give you the India of your dreams… If someone faces a problem, I also feel the pain. I understand their problem but this is only for 50 days,” he said.

Later in the day, addressing an event to mark the 100th anniversary of the Karnataka Lingayat Education Society in Belgaum, he reiterated: “I have not hidden anything from the country… If I had lied, you would have the right to be angry. On the first day itself, I said there will be problems till December 30, to give me 50 days… Crores of honest people have been standing in line. Is it not the government’s duty to protect the honest? If we have to struggle for 50 days to punish the corrupt, should we not do it… There is pain due to my decision, but there is more gain… I will stand with you.”

Targeting the Opposition parties, he said: “On November 8, at 8 pm, you saw a step being taken to end the corruption scams you saw in 2012, 2013, 2014. There used to be news about the coal scam, 2G scam… After the November 8 announcement, you saw what happened. Those involved in corruption had to stand in line for Rs 4,000… On November 8, when the poor were sleeping peacefully, the rich were searching for sleeping pills.”

“I pray to you that if you trust me, then give me your blessings for the auspicious work (pavitra kaam) I have set out to do. Please stand up and clap, and give me your blessings,’’ he appealed.

WATCH VIDEO: Demonetisation: Arvind Kejriwal, Kapil Sibal, Akhilesh Yadav Slam Modi Govt

He warned that he would not stop after December 30. “This is not the end… There are many other projects in my mind to stop corruption… I will expose corruption since the time of independence,” he said. “This government will not harass the honest, but will not allow the dishonest to go scot free. Has the country not been looted for the last 70 years,’’ he asked.

“The Congress is asking why we have stopped Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes… When the Congress stopped 25 paise, did we say anything? You dared to stop only 25 paise, that’s what your power was limited to. But you did not make higher denomination currency notes illegal… We did it… People have chosen our government and they expect so much from it,” he said.

Modi claimed that over half the Members of Parliament approached him when his government made it compulsory to declare PAN card numbers for purchase of gold worth over Rs 2 lakh.

Saying the demontisation move took 10 months, he said it had to be kept a secret because the dishonest would have otherwise been able to convert their black money. “Those who have heard my speeches know that I have said that high value notes will be curbed,’’ he said.

“In my Mann ki Baat, I have spoken about the need for a cashless society, that credit and debit card transactions are needed. The Government of India has removed taxes on cashless transactions. We did it because we wanted to implement this current policy. With Jan Dhan, we have given 20 crore people RuPay cards. We did it two years ago, so people can use it now,’’ said Modi.

“The malaise of black money runs very deep and is very serious, because the country has been afflicted by this malaise for 70 years. All are afflicted. I have been giving small dosages of medicine to cure this malaise. Now I have given a strong dosage,’’ he said. “People keep asking the question ‘what has Modi done’. Now you know what I did on November 8,’’ he added.

The Prime Minister compared the demonitisation process to the pre-poll process, when the entire government machinery gets ready for smooth conduct of elections.

“During elections, all government resources are focussed on conducting the elections. For nearly 90 days, the government is engaged in this and nearly 70 to 80 per cent vote in the end. When the election process of 90 days can be endured, what we are asking for is only 50 days of inconvenience for the sake of the country,’’ he said.

Thanking people for their support, he said, “Even Ganga Ma is surprised… people who did not spare a paise are throwing lakhs of rupees in the river. A widowed mother who complained that her son and daughter-in-law never visited her is now blessing me, as her children are pursuing her to deposit lakhs of rupees in her name,” said Modi.

For all the latest India News, download Indian Express App now

1. H
    Hasna
    Feb 7, 2017 at 3:32 pm
    Even there is some benefit of indroduce of 2000₹ too..I never think that his decision is something great..it made a lot of poor people to leave their own lives too... mothers with holding small babies to old aged people's were there in line standing to deposit their poor savings to exchange it back...for this they had to stand from early morning itself. ..all this shows what modiji had dreamed in his country. ...!lt;br/gt;Its not satisfied the 2000₹ arrive.. its just a burden... lt;br/gt;If he has a family he knews about it...lt;br/gt;Here i just post my opinion. .
      Kapoor
      Nov 14, 2016 at 3:50 am
      So much damage is already done to the Economy and country by this conspiracy of RSS and Modi that even 500 days will not be able to bring back the country and economy to pre November 8 level as already unreparable damage inflicted to the country by Safronist goon in power.
      1. H
        Haru Mandal
        Nov 14, 2016 at 4:19 am
        It is surprising to me that people are AGAIN fighting against CORRUPTION in Jantermanter in New Delhi , India AGAIN fighting against Corruption in ATM booths. But I do not see the LOKPAAL of India fighting against Corruption. Where is the Lokpaal of India? We had a Lokpal Bill 4 years back and Lokpaal Act 3 years back, We had lots Lokpaal Dramabaji and ANSAN by the Lokpaal Saints. Where are they now - one must wonder. Twinkle Twinkle Little stars - up above the sky so High?
        1. U
          Udit
          Nov 14, 2016 at 1:45 am
          Such is the STUPIDITY OF THE BRAHMIN ARVIND SUBRAMANIAM who advised Modi on demonetization.lt;br/gt;lt;br/gt;Such was the stupidity of BRAHMIN MK NARAYAN who advised Rajiv to send troops to Tamil Eelam.
            Prateik
            Nov 14, 2016 at 2:18 am
            When each and every BJP piMP asked for a seat before the elections, were they given free seats without the black money paid to the BJP high command? lt;br/gt;lt;br/gt;Was Modi a Baby then and now suddenly he got matured?
              Mathura
              Nov 14, 2016 at 2:44 am
              Can you spot any leader of ruling BJP/RSS speaking of high moral ground in mive lines to get cash to run there household/ to fulfil their daily needs. Either they don't need money or they have stocked enough before 8th Nov to fool AAM AADMI. It is easy to make joke of others/ talk ill having full stomach.
                Rima
                Nov 14, 2016 at 4:29 am
                Another drama by master of surgical strikes. He and his bhakts are talking about 2G scam, CWG scam, Coal scam, Chopper scams. After almost 3 years in power his administration miserably failed to register a single FIR against so called corrupt politicians or against Mr.Vadra.Shame on you feku followers, still you people are supporting him.
                  Anwar Masih
                  Nov 14, 2016 at 6:49 am
                  Prime Minister Narendra Modi, how we people trust on you.lt;br/gt;In view of your "PAST" and "PRESENT".lt;br/gt;lt;br/gt;Good time ahead,lt;br/gt;Well-Wisherslt;br/gt;Anwar Masih
                    Arvind
                    Nov 14, 2016 at 2:48 am
                    Good governance ?
                      ashok s
                      Nov 14, 2016 at 3:06 am
                      Bjp as w should file affidavit that move was not informed to its any kind of supporters . I feel fishy . how come salt vanquished from shelves immediately after announcement.
                        ashok s
                        Nov 14, 2016 at 12:35 am
                        Respected sir, pls also ensure that poor farmers who have done cash deals for land to be protected. Now what is happening is that netizens who paid cash to builders a day before announcement , and now builders are asking them to collect the cash back and forcing to cancelled the deal. Now ordinary buyer who intend to buy house is suffering . pls install quick law court for this purpose.
                          Ashok Shuka
                          Nov 22, 2016 at 11:10 am
                          Excellent decision of demonetization by PM Modi
                            PN badri
                            Nov 14, 2016 at 11:37 am
                            The word demonetisation itself wrong media version when swap/deposits allowed for high value denomination currency notes by the financial insutions and appropriate word is invalid by the government by over night without doing any proper home work and hence the economic paralysis. Cash crunch will continue for another 3/4months considering government inept handling this economic mess. Death bell by Modi governments to savings habit of Indian housewife.
                            1. C
                              Col S
                              Nov 14, 2016 at 5:20 am
                              Jumlas can not SOLVE. You have BETRA public trust by WRITE OFF of 9 lakh crore NPA. This was FD from SMALL SAVERS , loaned to BIG BORROWERS , WHO TOOK IT ABROAD by illegal means. AAM ADMI does not have BLACK MONEY. Your move has HURT them.No more JUMLAS but ACTION.
                                dd
                                Nov 14, 2016 at 2:57 am
                                We Indians dont need anything from oppostion to stop this drive. If opposition is really worried, they can help poor people by providing them essential food supplies free of cost for 15days to run famlies. They can help in other ways but not by opppsing this currency demonetisation
                                  Dev Vaish
                                  Nov 14, 2016 at 6:25 am
                                  Dev Vaish lt;br/gt;The Media, is reporting so many things that are happening after the demonetizing of 500 and 1000 Rupee notes. They interview so many people, and try to convey what the common man is thinking and feeling. But, I wonder if any Media person, will pick up, what I am saying. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Let me say that I am deeply concerned about people, hones, people, the weak, old and helpless people, who are spending hours and hours and hours, (collectively millions or billions of hours), standing in Queues, which by intelligent thinking can easily be avoided. All that needs to be done, is to give TOKEN numbers, to people coming to Banks in order to exchange bad money. These token numbers, issued sequentially, will help determine, the position of a person, wrt the position of a person who has reached the counter.....if it takes 1 minute to service a customer, and if my token number is 500, when the counter is serving the person with token number 100, then I need to wait for 400 minutes, or roughly 6 hours. Why should I then stand in a queue for 6-7 hours????? I can come back, and check my position, without wasting 6 hours in a queue. So easy. I ask, why is Media silent on projecting the pain that a common man suffers, standing in an unnecessary queue, why is Media silent in not recommending simpler solutions in 'queue management', why is Media not reading what I write, if what I suggest can be done ......... ? lt;br/gt;lt;br/gt;Can my message reach Mr Modi, can it reach the heads of Banks that can introduce better 'queue management', can Media convey a simple idea, help it move forward, for the benefit of millions of people who are needlessly, and unnecessarily suffering pain, by standing in long queues, to exchange bad money, for no fault of theirs? I think it is the moral duty of our Government and our Bank Administrators, to quickly put in place better systems in 'Queue Management' and Media to highlight what is being said, so that innovative ideas can help reduce the pain of people wasting their 'productive' TIME, all over the country. lt;br/gt;lt;br/gt;We should not become a laughing stock, of stupid people, with complete lack of insensitivity to pain felt by poor people by standing and wasting the TIME, in avoidable queues, ........, when simple solutions do exist. Are we soooooooooooooo dumb, as a Nation, that we can't even manage our 'Queues'....? Shame if nobody is listening.
                                    Dev Vaish
                                    Nov 14, 2016 at 6:21 am
                                    I ask the Govt to tell me, how long it will take for a common man to reach a bank counter, in order to exchange and get new money. And then, and then, once the common man gets Rs 2000, as a new note, how long will it take to convert it to lower value notes, because the Rs 2000 notes will not be easily accepted by vendors, as the low value notes of Rs 100, Rs 50, Rs 20, Rs 10 are not very many in circulation. The Government may have huge amounts of newly printed notes in Rs 500 and Rs 2000, but what a common man needs is money in smaller notes, below Rs 500 for usual business. Where is the small currency available, in a convenient way???????????? lt;br/gt;Will it be available after 50 days??????????/ What if one has to still struggle after 50 days? lt;br/gt;lt;br/gt;Also, with the mive amounts of old currency collected by Government, we need to know when (fix a Time limit), when our township roads will be built? Will it happen in 50 days, ??????????????????????? Who will be responsible? So many announcements, but none that re-ure us, what will be done, to improve the quality of lives of the common man.
                                      Dev Vaish
                                      Nov 14, 2016 at 3:20 am
                                      If someone faces a problem, I also feel the pain. I understand their problem but this is only for 50 days,” he said. But, but, there is a simple way that long "Queues" can be reduced, which our Government never considers. Wonder why, wonder why token numbers cannot be given to people coming to exchange money, so that they dont have to stand in a long 'queue', but depending on their token number, yes number, issued in a sequence, they can estimate the amount of TIME, it will take to reach the counter, and can come back, without wasting TIME in a QUEUE. So Simple. Modi must remember that TIME Is MONEY, so if the honest and the poor spend TIME in a queue they are also Spending Money. The time lost, is a precious resource, that is LOST, and the country cannot afford to lose TIME and MONEY, if the YOUTH are spending millions of productive hours, to exchange bad money. Is any one listenning? lt;br/gt;(I am Dev Vaish, retired UN officer, Quality Specialist, UNICEF, last posted at Copenhagen, Denmark. Talk to me at 9718147433)
                                        Dev Vaish
                                        Nov 14, 2016 at 7:10 am
                                        Soon, the need will be not of currency cash, but lower domination currency, in 100, 50, 20 and 10 Re currency. So, lets think in advance, not of how much money the Government has printed in new notes, but what is being done to reach smaller currency to reach the common man? ATMs dont distribute Re 10 notes? It takes ages to reach the Bank counter to exchange the new Re 2000 note, to get Re 100 notes. Quite simply, our Banks dont have adequate number of Re 100 notes. lt;br/gt;lt;br/gt;At this point of time, the new 2000 re note does not have as much demand, and therefore value, as 20 x 100 Re notes. I cannot use a Rs 2000 Re new note to buy a Rs 30 cold drink. I cannot use a new Rs 2000 note to get my shoe repaired by a cobbler (mochi). I need small notes, which are in short supply. I am spending a lot of precious TIME and since TIME is MONEY, I am actually spending MONEY to get smaller change. Similarly, millions of other people are spending Time and MOney for basics. lt;br/gt;lt;br/gt;Apparent gains, in quantified terms are unclear. !!!
                                          Dev Vaish