The Gujarat government Wednesday urged the Centre as well as the RBI to lift the ban on District Central Cooperative Banks (DCCBs) from accepting or exchanging scrapped notes of Rs 500 and Rs 1,000. The appeal by the state government followed representations it received from different quarters about cash crunch being faced by people, especially farmers, in view of the abolition. Deputy CM Nitin Patel said RBI has barred DCCBs from accepting or exchanging defunct currency notes after receiving some complaints against them.
Watch Waht else is Making News
“RBI has told us a decision on lifting the ban would be taken once the ongoing inquiry into these complaints got over,” Patel told mediapersons here while enumerating the “achievements” of Vijay Rupani government in Gujarat which has completed 100 days.
Last Sunday, the regulator e-mailed a circular to all the 18 Gujarat-based DCCBs, asking them not to accept and exchange the demonetised notes. “DCCBs mostly operate in rural areas. Many farmers are having accounts in these banks. Thus, we have urged RBI as well as the central government to conclude their inquiry as soon as possible and lift this restriction,” said Patel. To help farmers facing difficulties in purchasing fertilisers because of the cash crunch post-demonetisation, Patel said the state government has instructed PSUs to accept cheques from agriculturists.
With PTI Inputs
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
- J.Jayalalithaa’s Life Journey
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews