Demands for compensation to Mewat gangrape victims intensify

The victims had alleged that the accused asked them if they “eat beef” before assaulting them.

Written by Ankita Dwivedi Johri | New Delhi | Published:September 16, 2016 5:13 am
Mewat gangrape victims, mewat gangrape, Dingerheri gangrape, victims compensation, Mahapanchayat, Haryana, India news The Mahapanchayat held Tuesday at a govt school. (Source: Express Photo by Tashi Tobgyal)

The Mewat Vikas Sabha organised a mahapanchayat to discuss the future course of action in the alleged Dingerheri gangrape and double-murder case, in Nuh on Thursday. The three-hour-long event was attended by the victims’ families and 300 representatives, from over 36 communities, from the nearby villages.

The group “resolved” to step up pressure on the Haryana government over the delay in ordering a CBI probe in the case. Several speakers at the mahapanchayat also slammed the government for not offering the victims any compensation. The victims were not present at the mahapanchayat.

On the intervening night of August 24-25, a 14-year-old and her 21-year-old married cousin, both residents of Tauru tehsil’s Dingerheri village in Mewat district of Haryana, were allegedly gangraped by a group of four men at their outhouse near leased farms in the area. The family has alleged the attackers beat the victims’ maternal uncle and aunt to death, and brutally assaulted the parents of the minor rape victim. They two are admitted at the AIIMS Trauma Centre. The entire incident allegedly took place between 11:45 pm and 3 am.

Earlier this week, the victims had alleged that the accused asked them if they “eat beef” before assaulting them. At the mahapanchayat in Nuh, the group also discussed the issue of cow vigilantism in the region. “We have vowed not to let the reputation of Mewat get tainted. This gangrape, the biryani testing, they are all getting us a bad name. We have decided that we will not let anyone slaughter cows in Mewat,” said Ramzan Chaudhary, who attended the mahapanchayat and is a member of the bar association of Mewat. The bar association has got a “mandate” from Dingerheri village to fight the alleged gangrape case.

Thursday’s Mahapanchayat is the third such gathering in the region. On September 1, at a mahapanchayat in Tauru, attended by over 8,000 people from over 150 villages, a demand was made for Rs 45 lakh in compensation for the rape victims. On September 13, residents of Mohammadpur Ahir, where the four accused – Amarjeet (24), Sandeep (26), Rahul Verma (22) and Karamjeet (24) – hail from, organised a mahapanchayat at a government school, to garner support for the men. Alleged “lapses by the police” were also discussed at the mahapanchayat. Sohna BJP MLA Tejpal Tanwar and BJP leader from Nuh tehsil Kanwar Sanjay Singh were present during the Mohammadpur Ahir gathering.

On Wednesday, an official identification parade of the accused was also conducted at the Tauru station. While the victims identified the four men from Mohammadpur Ahir village, from the group of over 12 suspects, another perpetrator who was present on that night, the victims said, was not among those paraded. The four accused are presently in jail.