The Delhi Police Special Cell has arrested a 32-year-old man from Haryana’s Mewat district, suspected to be a key operative of the al-Qaeda in the Indian subcontinent (AQIS), making it the fifth arrest in its ongoing operation against the terror outfit.
“We had arrested Abdul Sami from Nuh town in Mewat on Sunday. He was brought and produced before a Delhi Court which remanded him in police custody till February 1,” said Special Commissioner of Police (Special Cell) Arvind Deep.
Apart from Sami, who allegedly got arms training in Pakistan, police also detained two of his associates. According to sources, Sami came to Mewat for participating in some preaching activity called ‘chilla’. A native of Jamshedpur in Jharkhand, he was allegedly mentored by Abdul Rahman, a madrasa cleric who was arrested from Jagatpur in Odisha December last.
“Rahman’s arrest was the second in the ongoing operation. So far, the police have identified three persons whom Rahman inducted in the AQIS and sent to Pakistan for training,” said a police officer, adding that while Sami has been arrested, the other two — identified as Abu Sufian and Umar Hyderabadi — are still believed to be in Pakistan.
The officer said that during the interrogation, Sami disclosed that that he left for Dubai in January 2014 and stayed there for a month before moving to Karachi. “From there, he went to Mansehra in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province, where he got training in AK-47 and light machine guns,” said the officer.
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
- J.Jayalalithaa’s Life Journey
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
“It was in January 2015 that Sami, a trained electrician, returned to India through Sharjah in UAE and Kathmandu in Nepal. He then went to his home in Jamshedpur, but soon left… Sami is suspected to have arrived in India with some plans. It is also possible that he is involved in the planning of some high-profile attacks in the country,” added the official.