Mercedes hit-and-run case: Teen granted bail by juvenile board to take entrance exams

A week earlier, the board had rejected his plea as he was a repeat offender.

Written by Aneesha Mathur | New Delhi | Updated: April 27, 2016 4:30 am
mercedes hit and run case, delhi hit and run case, accident by mercedes, delhi IT professional accident, Teenager gets beil,, Juvenile justice board, Juvenile board grants bail to teenager, Delhi accident, IT professional accident, juvenile mercedes hit and run case, juvenile justice board, delhi news, india news The bail plea, however, was opposed by the police and prosecutor Atul Shrivastava sought to see the psychology reports of the boy.

The juvenile, who allegedly ran over a 32-year-old man with his father’s Mercedes earlier this month, has been granted bail by the Juvenile Justice Board (JJB) on the grounds that he has to appear for various undergraduate entrance exams — including one for a law course.

A week earlier, the board had rejected his plea as he was a repeat offender. In his bail plea, the teenager had said he has to appear for entrance exams for law and BBA courses and he was a student with a good academic record. The plea also claimed his career would be ruined if he was not allowed to sit for the exams.

While details of the order are not yet available, sources said the JJB has asked for a bail bond of Rs 50,000. The boy had turned 18 four days after the incident.

The JJB had earlier denied bail, observing that the case was an example of “bad parenting” as his parents had allowed him to drive without a valid licence. The teenager had been fined thrice last year — twice for speeding and once for parking in the wrong spot.

Advocate Vikas Manchanda, who is representing the teenager, told the board that the he had missed some exams during his stay at the observation home after his arrest. Copies of admit cards and other documents to show his academic prospects were also submitted to the JJB.

Manchanda added that the juvenile and his parents have undergone psychological counselling, and the reports had been submitted to the board. His parents had earlier offered to file an undertaking or an affidavit, promising that they would not allow their son to drive.

If found guilty, the juvenile faces two years of confinement in an observation home on charges that include sections 304 A (causing death by rash or negligent act), 279 (driving on a public way so rashly or negligently as to endanger human life) and 337 (causing hurt by an act which endangers human life) of the IPC.

WATCH INDIAN EXPRESS VIDEOS HERE

For all the latest India News, download Indian Express App

    Live Cricket Scores & Results