Thirty-two Delhi hospitals have agreed to provide subsidised treatment to the people of the northeastern region living in the national capital under a reach-out programme.
Delhi IGP Robin Hibu, who is also a nodal officer for the people from the northeast, told PTI over phone that he has been pursuing it with top hospitals including Fortis, Medanta, Apollo, Max Health Care and many others to provide subsidised treatment to the people of the northeast.
More than 11 lakh people from the northeast are either working in private sectors or studying in Delhi and the National Capital Region and most of them do not have any medical insurance or facilities, nor they can avail the central government health scheme (CGHS) like government servants.
- Healthcare, on queue: The hurdles in Delhi’s health plans
- Depths of despair
- One crore students in hostels to get subsidised wheat and rice, says Ram Vilas Paswan
- National Health Protection Mission to cover chemotherapy, not transplant
- Northeast has potential to be India’s new growth engine, need to bring east at par with west: PM in Manipur
- Mahatma Jyotiba Phule Jan Arogya Yojana: Even as state brings national health insurance scheme, it needs to tackle issues in MPJAY
“The NE people working in Delhi or NCR have to pay for their medical treatments from their meagre salaries, leaving no scope for them to save money or send money to their old parents back home,” Hibu said.
On modalities for availing the concession, he said the people have to have a referral letter from his office to be sent with attested ID card to particular hospital as per the patient’s choice with his/her original identity card, to avoid any impersonation.
“This facility can be availed only by NE employees in any private companies/shops and NE students studying in Delhi, not for CGHS beneficiaries,” he added.
Hibu also informed that a thanksgiving function would be soon organised by Northeast people of Delhi in July, wherein all CEOs, CMD and MDs of 32 hospitals would be honoured with mementos and letter of appreciation by the central ministers hailing from the northeast region.