Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Monday said that some of the directives of the judiciary were “senseless” and “without any scientific basis”. He followed this with a reference to the Supreme Court ban on diesel vehicles with an engine capacity of 2000cc and above in the Capital.
“Senseless directions are being given without any scientific basis. Some people who do not understand science have begun interpreting it,” he said at a public function in Panaji.
“We welcome the ban on polluting vehicles, but why ban (diesel) vehicles with reduced pollution emission than their petrol counterparts. Car manufacturers like Mercedes Benz have stopped investment in our market as they fail to see any logic in the court’s decision,” he said.
- Manohar Parrikar doing well, but will return after medical advice, says BJP
- Shiv Sena demands President’s rule in Goa over Manohar Parrikar’s absence
- Have begun to fear as girls have now started drinking beer, says Goa CM Manohar Parrikar
- After SC rap, Manohar Parrikar defends state move: ‘went for second renewal on HC decision’
- Note-ban, GST became possible due to PM’s leadership: Manohar Parrikar
- Dadri-like incidents will damage BJP, NDA: Manohar Parrikar
Parrikar, who inaugurated a Solid Waste Management Facility in Saligao-Calangute plateau, said garbage and sewage treatment is a “major scam area”.
“The garbage and sewage treatment is a major scam area. Ninety per cent of the toilets built under Central government schemes go into disuse after three to four years,” Parrikar said.
“Some people use these toilets to pile woodstock. Some people don’t even use it for the purpose it is built. But no one can audit it. How can one audit whether a toilet is functional or not without using it?” he said.
The minister said garbage treatment has become a big business across the country. “There are vested interests in this sector… Comptroller and Auditor General audits everything but I have not seen the audit of garbage treatment. Who will dare go in the dump of garbage?” he said.
(With inputs from PTI)