A day after an Indian soldier was killed and his body mutilated by terrorists who came from Pakistan-occupied Kashmir with the help of cover fire provided by Pakistani troops, the Indian Army announced Saturday it had carried out a massive assault across the Line of Control, destroying four Pakistani posts and inflicting heavy casualties.
The strike by the Army took place in the Keran sector of Kupwara district, north Kashmir. “Four Pakistani posts have been destroyed in a massive fire assault in the Keran sector. Heavy casualties inflicted,” the Army’s Northern Command said. It did not give further details.
On Friday, after Sepoy Mandeep Singh was killed and his body mutilated, the Army had warned of “an appropriate response”, saying the incident reflected the barbarism that “pervades official and unofficial organisations across the border”.
Earlier Saturday, Indian and Pakistani troops exchanged fire in the Keran sector. In the Machil sector, a BSF jawan, Nitin Koli, was killed while responding to a ceasefire violation by the Pakistanis.
A senior BSF officer said Koli was firing a long-range weapon when there was an explosion in the chamber and the recoil struck him. He later succumbed to injuries, the officer said.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
In another case of ceasefire violation by Pakistani troops, a woman was injured in the Keran sector, officials said. Pakistani troops fired shells from across the LoC to the Indian side early Saturday morning in which a woman, identified as Shaheena Begum, was injured. Officials said the Indian Army retaliated to the “unprovoked” Pakistani aggression “in equal measure”.
Ever since the Indian Army announced on September 29 that it had conducted surgical strikes against terror launch pads along the Line of Control, Pakistani troops have been violating the ceasefire on a daily basis and the Indians have been returning fire.