Congress vice-president Rahul Gandhi arrived Tuesday afternoon at Hyderabad Central University where Dalit research student Rohith Vemula, who had been suspended, committed suicide Sunday evening. Rahul attacked vice-chancellor Prof P Appa Rao as well as a “minister in New Delhi”, without naming either HRD Minister Smriti Irani or MoS for Labour and Employment Bandaru Dattatreya, who has been named in the FIR on abetment to suicide.
“The conditions for Rohith to commit suicide were created by the VC and the minister in New Delhi. The VC has no merit to continue in his post,” Rahul said. “Whether it is suicide or accident or illness, when a student dies, the man in-charge of this institution has to show the bare minimum respect and courtesy and go and meet the family. The VC has shown no decency to even meet Rohith’s mother. It is an insult to this institution and its students.”
- Virat Kohli Powers India Home With Unbeaten 154
- Pakistan Resorts To Heavy Mortar Shelling, 1 BSF Jawan Dead, 3 Injured
- Bigg Boss 10 Weekend Ka Vaar: Priyanka Jagga Evicted
- Here’s How Much Army Welfare Fund Has After MNS Demanded Rs 5 Cr To Cast Pak Artistes
- Shiv Sena Chief Uddhav Thackeray Take A Jibe At MNS: Here’s What He Said
- Samajwadi Party Crisis Deepens: Here’s How It Will Impact UP Polls
- 24 Maoists Killed In Encounter In Odisha
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
Members of several student organisations staged noisy demonstrations against the VC demanding his resignation. Several student leaders explained the sequence of events to Rahul, who listened standing on a small stage. The student leaders urged everyone visiting the university not to make it one political party against another.
Rahul said he agreed with the view of students that the university administration created the conditions that drove Rohith to suicide. “I agree with the students and Rohith Vemula’s family must be compensated adequately. He was the family’s future, they were dependent on him,” Rahul said. “Now that he is no more, the future he was supposed to provide for the family should be given to the family in the form of compensation. And the people who are responsible for his death should receive the strictest punishment.”
In New Delhi, the BJP hit back at Rahul. “It is unfortunate that Rahul Gandhi is doing politics over suicide. Congress has stooped to such a low that it is doing politics over the death of a student. We reject any such demand (of resignation) outright,” BJP national secretary Shrikant Sharma. And general secretary P Muralidhar Rao said, “Congress leaders like Rahul Gandhi and Digvijaya Singh should remember that the Congress had done gross injustice to Dr B R Ambedkar and harassed him all his life. Now they are trying to project themselves as champions of the Dalit cause.”
Derek heads to campus
Rahul was the first political leader from Delhi to visit the campus. He will be followed by the Trinamool Congress’s Derek O’Brien and MP Pratima Mondol. “We have spoken to the students and they said it will be a nice gesture if you come and express solidarity with us,” PTI quoted O’Brien as saying.
— Ritika Chopra (@KhurafatiChopra) January 19, 2016
See letters from the HRD Ministry to Hyderabad Central University