Congress vice-president Rahul Gandhi arrived Tuesday afternoon at Hyderabad Central University where Dalit research student Rohith Vemula, who had been suspended, committed suicide Sunday evening. Rahul attacked vice-chancellor Prof P Appa Rao as well as a “minister in New Delhi”, without naming either HRD Minister Smriti Irani or MoS for Labour and Employment Bandaru Dattatreya, who has been named in the FIR on abetment to suicide.
“The conditions for Rohith to commit suicide were created by the VC and the minister in New Delhi. The VC has no merit to continue in his post,” Rahul said. “Whether it is suicide or accident or illness, when a student dies, the man in-charge of this institution has to show the bare minimum respect and courtesy and go and meet the family. The VC has shown no decency to even meet Rohith’s mother. It is an insult to this institution and its students.”
Members of several student organisations staged noisy demonstrations against the VC demanding his resignation. Several student leaders explained the sequence of events to Rahul, who listened standing on a small stage. The student leaders urged everyone visiting the university not to make it one political party against another.
Rahul said he agreed with the view of students that the university administration created the conditions that drove Rohith to suicide. “I agree with the students and Rohith Vemula’s family must be compensated adequately. He was the family’s future, they were dependent on him,” Rahul said. “Now that he is no more, the future he was supposed to provide for the family should be given to the family in the form of compensation. And the people who are responsible for his death should receive the strictest punishment.”
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
In New Delhi, the BJP hit back at Rahul. “It is unfortunate that Rahul Gandhi is doing politics over suicide. Congress has stooped to such a low that it is doing politics over the death of a student. We reject any such demand (of resignation) outright,” BJP national secretary Shrikant Sharma. And general secretary P Muralidhar Rao said, “Congress leaders like Rahul Gandhi and Digvijaya Singh should remember that the Congress had done gross injustice to Dr B R Ambedkar and harassed him all his life. Now they are trying to project themselves as champions of the Dalit cause.”
Derek heads to campus
Rahul was the first political leader from Delhi to visit the campus. He will be followed by the Trinamool Congress’s Derek O’Brien and MP Pratima Mondol. “We have spoken to the students and they said it will be a nice gesture if you come and express solidarity with us,” PTI quoted O’Brien as saying.
— Ritika Chopra (@KhurafatiChopra) January 19, 2016
See letters from the HRD Ministry to Hyderabad Central University