The country on Sunday remembered former prime minister Lal Bahadur Shastri on his 112th birth anniversary with President Pranab Mukherjee, Vice-President Hamid Ansari and Prime Minister Narendra Modi paying tribute to him at his memorial in New Delhi. Former prime minister Manmohan Singh, senior BJP leader L K Advani, Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal and his Deputy Manish Sisodia joined Shastri’s family members, including his grandson Adarsh Shastri, in paying floral tributes to the leader at his Samadhi at Vijay Ghat.
They participated in a prayer meeting also.
Clad in a white kurta-pyjama, Modi paid homage to Shastri by offering rose petals at his memorial and performing a ‘parikrama’.
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
- Jayalalithaa’s Health: AIADMK Women Supporters Continue Special Prayers For CM
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle First Look Video
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
- PM Modi Meets New Zealand Prime Minister John Key
- Ex-Arunachal CM Kalikho Pul Left Behind “Secret Notes” Before He Was Found Hanging: Rajkhowa
- Big Relief For Former Karnataka CM BS Yeddyurappa: Here’s Why
- Missing For Three Days, JNU Student Found Dead In Hostel Room
- Bigg Boss 10: Review Of October 25 Episode
- Delhi Government’s Rs 200 Crore Riverfront Plan: Find Out More
- School in Jammu & Kashmir’s Bandipore District Set on Fire
- Ajay Devgn On The Making Of Shivaay: Exclusive Interview
- Bodies Of Maoists Killed In Malkangiri Encounter, One Of The Biggest Such Operations
Leaders from various political parties, parliamentarians, freedom fighters, Delhi Assembly Speaker Ram Niwas Goel, Delhi government Ministers– Kapil Mishra, Imran Hussain and MLAs–also paid floral tributes to the former prime minister.
Bhajans were also recited on this occasion apart from picture exhibits at Vijay Ghat.
Shahtri had succeeded Jawahar Lal Nehru as prime minister of the country in 1964. During the 1965 war with Pakistan, he gave the slogan of ‘Jai Jawan Jai Kisan’.