Among the Congress leaders, party chief Pardeep Chhabra and other councillors were also taken in the police custody.
A scuffle took place at Sector 34 light point when the congressmen including Chhabra tried to remove the barricades. As the police detained the workers for more than four hours, former Congress MP, Pawan Kumar Bansal, also had to come to the police station at Sector 39 to get the matter solved.
- Cauvery issue: Pro-Tamil activist show PM Modi black flags in Chennai
- Congress leaders call on Bansal, discuss mayoral candidate in Chhabra absence
- Sector 39 waterworks: Congress councillors wear black bands to protest inauguration
- Congress mocks with ‘black money, berozgari asanas’ in Chandigarh
- Confined by police, Congress members protest inside party headquarter
- Land Acquisition Act: Bansal, Chhabra, 200 other leaders detained during nationwide protest
While talking to Chandigarh Newsline, Chhabra said that the government had failed to fulfill a single promise made before the election . The government failed in controlling price rise and organising the yoga festival was part of the strategy of the government to divert people’s attention as it fails to solve the problem of people. He said that traders, employees, workers were all unhappy with the performance of the government. Poonam Sharma,President, Mahila Congress, councillor Harphool Kalyan, Mukesh Bassi, Darshan Garg, Gurbax Rawat were also present.
The Congressmen were just trying to remove the barricade when all of them were bundled in a police van and taken to the Sector 39 police station.