The Union Cabinet’s recommendation for imposing President’s rule in Arunachal Pradesh today drew stinging condemnation from the opposition with Congress alleging democracy was being trampled and that Prime Minister Narendra Modi was “fountainhead” of political intolerance.
Accusing the Modi government of trying to destabilize a state bordering China, the Congress, which is in power in Arunachal Pradesh, also said that it will challenge in court the Cabinet decision if it gets presidential assent. Delhi Chief Minister and AAP chief Arvind Kejriwal expressed “shock” over the Cabinet decision, saying it is “murder” of the country’s Constitution.
Union Cab recommending Prez rule in Arunachal shocking. Murder of Consti on Rep D eve. BJP lost elections.Now acquiring power thro back door
— Arvind Kejriwal (@ArvindKejriwal) January 24, 2016
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
“Union Cab recommending Prez rule in Arunachal shocking. Murder of Consti on Rep D eve. BJP lost elections.Now acquiring power thro back door,” Kejriwal said in a tweet. The “very wrong” step has exposed Modi’s “double-speak” on federalism, the Congress alleged and warned the government that it will pay a “heavy price” for it.
ALSO READ: Arunachal: Making of the crisis
“Modi government’s decision to impose President’s rule in Arunachal Pradesh reflects travesty of Constitutional mandate, subjugation of federalism and trampling of democracy,” AICC Communication Department Chief Randeep Surjewala said. “Modiji’s double speak of respect for federalism and states being equal part of ‘Team India’ stands exposed.”
Congress leader Kapil Sibal said the party will move court and alleged that the step shows that Modi is “fountainhead” of political intolerance. “We will challenge it…. This bypassing the matter which is being heard by the Supreme Court…. President is Constitutional head he will apply his mind and will take appropriate decision,” Sibal told reporters.
He was asked whether the party will challenge in court the decision taken by the Cabinet decision. “Government has taken a very wrong step. There cannot be possibly any wrong step than this. The Governor had embarrassed himself and now the government is embarrassing itself. They will pay a heavy price,” he remarked. Sibal, a former Law Minister and a noted lawyer, claimed that that government has taken the step apprehending that they are not going to succeed in the Supreme Court.
“They have taken the step despite knowing well the decision on President’s rule cannot get approval of Parliament as they do not have majority in the Rajya Sabha,” Sibal said. “This is an act of political intolerance by government which talks of cooperative federalism,” he said. He lamented that the Modi dispensation was resorting to such tactics in a border-state like Arunachal Pradesh. “They are trying to destabilize a state bordering China,” he alleged.