The Union Cabinet’s recommendation for imposing President’s rule in Arunachal Pradesh today drew stinging condemnation from the opposition with Congress alleging democracy was being trampled and that Prime Minister Narendra Modi was “fountainhead” of political intolerance.
Accusing the Modi government of trying to destabilize a state bordering China, the Congress, which is in power in Arunachal Pradesh, also said that it will challenge in court the Cabinet decision if it gets presidential assent. Delhi Chief Minister and AAP chief Arvind Kejriwal expressed “shock” over the Cabinet decision, saying it is “murder” of the country’s Constitution.
- Twitter War Between Congress Leader Amarinder Singh & Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal
- Life Of Actor-Dancer Ashwini Ekbote Who Died During A Performance
- Idea Exchange With Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh
- PM Narendra Modi Bats For Equal Rights : Here What He Said On Triple Talaq
- Uncle Shivpal Targets Akhilesh, Claims CM Told Him He Will Form Another Party
- Pakistan Continues To Violate Ceasefire In RS Pura
- Samajwadi Party’s internal fight divides SP
- Cyrus Mistry Removed As Chairman of Tata Sons: Here’s What Happened
- Wreath Laying Ceremony Of Slain Soldier Sushil Kumar Observed
- Virat Kohli Powers India Home With Unbeaten 154
- Pakistan Resorts To Heavy Mortar Shelling, 1 BSF Jawan Dead, 3 Injured
- Bigg Boss 10 Weekend Ka Vaar: Priyanka Jagga Evicted
- Here’s How Much Army Welfare Fund Has After MNS Demanded Rs 5 Cr To Cast Pak Artistes
- Shiv Sena Chief Uddhav Thackeray Take A Jibe At MNS: Here’s What He Said
- Samajwadi Party Crisis Deepens: Here’s How It Will Impact UP Polls
Union Cab recommending Prez rule in Arunachal shocking. Murder of Consti on Rep D eve. BJP lost elections.Now acquiring power thro back door
— Arvind Kejriwal (@ArvindKejriwal) January 24, 2016
“Union Cab recommending Prez rule in Arunachal shocking. Murder of Consti on Rep D eve. BJP lost elections.Now acquiring power thro back door,” Kejriwal said in a tweet. The “very wrong” step has exposed Modi’s “double-speak” on federalism, the Congress alleged and warned the government that it will pay a “heavy price” for it.
ALSO READ: Arunachal: Making of the crisis
“Modi government’s decision to impose President’s rule in Arunachal Pradesh reflects travesty of Constitutional mandate, subjugation of federalism and trampling of democracy,” AICC Communication Department Chief Randeep Surjewala said. “Modiji’s double speak of respect for federalism and states being equal part of ‘Team India’ stands exposed.”
Congress leader Kapil Sibal said the party will move court and alleged that the step shows that Modi is “fountainhead” of political intolerance. “We will challenge it…. This bypassing the matter which is being heard by the Supreme Court…. President is Constitutional head he will apply his mind and will take appropriate decision,” Sibal told reporters.
He was asked whether the party will challenge in court the decision taken by the Cabinet decision. “Government has taken a very wrong step. There cannot be possibly any wrong step than this. The Governor had embarrassed himself and now the government is embarrassing itself. They will pay a heavy price,” he remarked. Sibal, a former Law Minister and a noted lawyer, claimed that that government has taken the step apprehending that they are not going to succeed in the Supreme Court.
“They have taken the step despite knowing well the decision on President’s rule cannot get approval of Parliament as they do not have majority in the Rajya Sabha,” Sibal said. “This is an act of political intolerance by government which talks of cooperative federalism,” he said. He lamented that the Modi dispensation was resorting to such tactics in a border-state like Arunachal Pradesh. “They are trying to destabilize a state bordering China,” he alleged.