Several Hindu outfits, including VHP and Bajrang Dal, have come out in protest against the move of Congress chief whip in Karnataka legislative council Ivan d’Souza to organise ‘Bhavaikyata Diwali’ (Diwali for unity) in the Sri Manjunatha temple at Kadri here on October 29. The organisations felt that D’Souza’s entry into the temple would ‘defile its sanctity’ and contended that Hindu religious places should be limited to Hindus only, VHP regional working president M B Puranik said in a statement. “However, they have no qualms about district-in-charge Minister B Ramanath Rai organising a similar event in the temple. If D’souza is so particular, let him celebrate Diwali in a church,” he said.
Puranik said VHP and all Hindu organisations strongly condemned the move to organise a ‘politically motivated’ programme inside the temple and urged the district administration, police and the Endowment department to stop it. It was the contention of the outfits that non-Hindus should not organise any religious programme in a Hindu temple managed by the Endowment department.
Puranik demanded action against officials who gave permission for the programme. Holding that cancellation of the event was the only way to ensure justice to Hindus, he said VHP had the support of all Hindu outfits on this issue.
VHP and Bajrang Dal leaders also submitted a memorandum to Dakshina Kannada district deputy commissioner K G Jagadeesh opposing the programme on the ground that Hindu religious institutions should not be allowed to be ‘misused’.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016