Congress leader Anand Sharma on Sunday advised Prime Minister Narendra Modi to ‘speak and act’ with maturity and restraint on issues of national security and stop driving political mileage from the surgical strikes by the Indian Army across the LoC with Pakistan. He also demanded that terrorists attacks on the army and air force establishments at Udhampur, Pathankot and Uri should be declared as ‘acts of war’ and Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar, BJP president Amit Shah and BJP-RSS leaders should be stopped making jingoistic statements.
WHAT ELSE IS MAKING NEWS
Talking to mediapersons, Sharma said, “When the entire nation had spoken in once voice supporting the action of the Indian Army, which carried out courageous surgical strikes, to neutralise the terrorist launch pads along the LoC on September 29, there was no need for resorting to boastful claims.”
The Congress leader said Modi himself has become ‘ Pramukh prachar mantri’ of his government and making misleading statements to give an impression as if it was ‘first time that Indian army had taken action against cross border terrorism. “I advise him (PM) to use restraint and keep the country together as Pakistan can’t be trusted. We should remain alert to any further mischief of Pakistan instead of whipping of hysteria on matters of national security”.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
He said the Congress party had endorsed the government’s decision and supported the action as informed by the DGMO, also praising the sacrifices of the brave soldiers –who fell victim to the terrorists attacks at Udhampur, Pathankot and Uri but it was highly regrettable that some loud mouthed BJP leaders, including Amit Shah using the ‘surgical strike’ to drive political mileage in UP.
“We welcomed Prime Minister’s statement asking his ministers and others not to speak on surgical strike but the message perhaps was taken other way around as Parrikar came-out with a claim that such an action of the army was first of its kind in 30 years, which is highly unfortunate. Now the foreign secretary and top army brass have admitted before the Parliamentarian standing committee that such actions were carried out even before, but never publicised it. Defence minister’s statement was an insult to the martyrs of Kargil war,” he added.