Congress on Wednesday alleged that the BJP government in Madhya Pradesh is in the thick of a “scam of monumental proportions” in the resettlement and rehabilitation of the oustees of the Sardar Sarovar project on the Narmada. Party spokesman Abhishek Singhvi told reporters that the Judicial Commission headed by Justice S S Jha has “indicted” the Shivraj Singh Chouhan government in the matter.
Watch What Else is Making News
Congress has already been targeting the government over the multi-crore Vyapam scam and demanding the resignation of the chief minister.
“The Chouhan government seems to have become a Vyapak Ghotala-all Pervasive Scamster-Government, even as the Prime Minister continues to patronise him (Chouhan) and his corruption,” Singhvi alleged.
He said the scandal has put question mark on the future of thousands of families affected by the Sardar Sarovar Dam.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
The Commission, after a seven-year investigation, has “exposed the rampant forgery of documents” that allowed compensation to be paid to impostors, he said, claiming the scam is of “monumental proportions”.
The Jha Commission was appointed by the Supreme Court, he said.
The compensation was meant for those who will be displaced when the dam’s height is raised.
The commission has also brought to the fore that the state government did not cooperate with its inquiry and made every attempt to prevent the damning report from being made public before it was finally tabled in the state’s Vidhan Sabha at the end of July, Singhvi said.
Targeting the Prime Minister, he said Narendra Modi never misses any opportunity to politically encash the Sardar Sarovar Dam but could not prevent the massive corruption in this ‘Narmada Dam Scam’.
“Congress demands that the Jha Commission report be made public and appropriate action under the Supreme Court guidelines taken so that the culprits of this massive Narmada Scam can be brought to book”, Singhvi said.
“The Prime Minister talks about ‘Swachh Bharat’. It is high time that Narendra Modi first provides us a ‘Swachh Sarkar’, which is devoid of corruption”, he remarked.