Congress on Wednesday alleged that the BJP government in Madhya Pradesh is in the thick of a “scam of monumental proportions” in the resettlement and rehabilitation of the oustees of the Sardar Sarovar project on the Narmada. Party spokesman Abhishek Singhvi told reporters that the Judicial Commission headed by Justice S S Jha has “indicted” the Shivraj Singh Chouhan government in the matter.
Watch What Else is Making News
Congress has already been targeting the government over the multi-crore Vyapam scam and demanding the resignation of the chief minister.
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
- Hillary Clinton accuses Donald Trump of being Vladimir Putin’s ‘puppet’
- Senior UP Congress Leader Rita Bahuguna Joshi Joins BJP
- Missing JNU Student: VC Gives Ultimatum To Students Over ‘Illegal Confinement’
- US Presidential Debate: Donald Trump Calls Hillary Clinton ‘A Nasty Woman’
- Hasselblad True Zoom Mod Review
- Honor 8 First Look Video
- Apple Watch 2: Review, Price And Features
- Delhi HC Dismisses Kejriwal’s Plea For Stay In Criminal Defamation Case
- Gulzar Shares An Interesting Anecdote Behind The Lyrics of ‘Humne Dekhi Hai’ Song
- Diya Mirza Displays Her Painting Skills At An Art Festival In Mumbai
“The Chouhan government seems to have become a Vyapak Ghotala-all Pervasive Scamster-Government, even as the Prime Minister continues to patronise him (Chouhan) and his corruption,” Singhvi alleged.
He said the scandal has put question mark on the future of thousands of families affected by the Sardar Sarovar Dam.
The Commission, after a seven-year investigation, has “exposed the rampant forgery of documents” that allowed compensation to be paid to impostors, he said, claiming the scam is of “monumental proportions”.
The Jha Commission was appointed by the Supreme Court, he said.
The compensation was meant for those who will be displaced when the dam’s height is raised.
The commission has also brought to the fore that the state government did not cooperate with its inquiry and made every attempt to prevent the damning report from being made public before it was finally tabled in the state’s Vidhan Sabha at the end of July, Singhvi said.
Targeting the Prime Minister, he said Narendra Modi never misses any opportunity to politically encash the Sardar Sarovar Dam but could not prevent the massive corruption in this ‘Narmada Dam Scam’.
“Congress demands that the Jha Commission report be made public and appropriate action under the Supreme Court guidelines taken so that the culprits of this massive Narmada Scam can be brought to book”, Singhvi said.
“The Prime Minister talks about ‘Swachh Bharat’. It is high time that Narendra Modi first provides us a ‘Swachh Sarkar’, which is devoid of corruption”, he remarked.