Congress on Wednesday demanded arrest of Ravindra Chavan, a BJP MLA from Dombivali, who was purportedly seen in a video using analogy of pigs while talking about “uplift of the dalits.”
The remarks of Chavan showed the mindset of the ruling BJP, party spokesman P L Punia told reporters.He said it was “shameful” that the government as also the BJP have failed to react.
- Damodar Shingda Cong nominee for Palghar Lok Sabha bypoll
- Why Buddhism invites Dalits
- SC/ST stamps on police aspirants’ chest: Rahul Gandhi attacks BJP over ‘casteist mentality’, Mayawati questions PM Modi’s silence
- Maharashtra: Ready to join hands for polls, Cong and NCP send message to workers – forget past feuds
- BJP’s outreach plan: Health to rural schemes, PM Modi gives ‘tips’ to party MPs, MLAs
- Maharashtra: BJP to go door-to-door to mend fences with Dalits, tribals
Chavan had allegedly cited the example of Abraham Lincoln narrating a story where the US President picked up a “piglet” from a drain and cleaned it.
Punia, who also heads the National Commission for Scheduled Castes, said he has sought a report from the DGP, Maharashtra as also Commissioner of Police, Thane including the action taken in the matter.