A 19-year-old college student was bludgeoned to death with cement pavement blocks by a group of around 10 youths at a petrol pump in Chinchwad on Sunday afternoon.
Police suspect that a quarrel the victim had in college a couple of days ago could be the reason behind the crime.
The deceased, Vinayak Kailas Patole, was a resident of Dattana-gar in Chinchwad. Police said that he was booked in a case of murder in the past. According to them, he was a student of a local junior college and on Sunday afternoon, some people including some students from his college, had called him near the petrol pump.
- Dalit man beaten to death over affair, girl’s kin arrested: police
- 20-year-old college student beaten to death near Tungarli dam
- Ex-Army officer was bludgeoned to death over matchbox: Pune City Police
- Allahabad law student dies after assault
- Allahabad: Law student dies after assault during restaurant brawl
- Delhi: SHO sent to District Lines after CCTV video captures ‘assault’
“When Patole came to the pump, the group of around 10 youths attacked him with cement pavement blocks. He bled a lot and we suspect that he died on the spot. The incident has been captured in CCTV. Surprisingly, a large number of people stood mute witness to the incident,” said an officer from Pimpri police station, which is not far from the spot where the incident took place.
The officer added, “Our primary probe suggests that the murder was the fallout of a quarrel Patole had with some other students in his college. Based on security cameras, we have identified some of the suspects who are college students. Soon, some arrests would be made.”