Amid tension between India and Pakistan, churches across Goa will on October 16 hold prayers for peace in the region. “The recent escalation of tension along our borders has been causing serious concern to our respective populations and has prompted the President of Catholic Bishops’ Conference of India to issue a circular asking that a day — October 16 — be set aside as a day of prayer for India,” Archbishop of Goa and Daman Filipe Neri Ferrao said on Saturday.
“I too wold like to call upon the members of the Church in this Archdiocese and other people of good will to join us in praying for one another and for peace in our land,” said the Archbishop. Ferrao said peace has always figured amongst humanity’s highest values, whether it is seen as absence of conflict or as an abiding state of harmony and tranquillity.
“Ironically, it is one of the most eluding goods in today’s society. The fragile peace along the Indian border with neighbouring Pakistan is regularly disturbed by exchange of fire and other forms of violence, revealing a simmering state of hostility and suspicion between two countries that otherwise share linguistic, cultural, geographical and even economic links”, he added. The Archbishop has requested the parish priests, religious and lay leaders, to conduct special prayers for the nation on October 16.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
“I call upon members of other religious communities in our Archdiocese to join us in praying for our mother India,” he added.