Prisoners of Chhattisgarh’s Raipur Central Jail observed a hunger strike on Gandhi Jayanti to press their demands including access to private TV channels and non-vegetarian food.
They called off the protest on Tuesday after the administration assured to meet ‘genuine’ demands.
The inmates at Raipur Central Jail who had gone on hunger strike yesterday ended their protest today,” district collector O P Choudhary told PTI.
- Twitter War Between Congress Leader Amarinder Singh & Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal
- Life Of Actor-Dancer Ashwini Ekbote Who Died During A Performance
- Idea Exchange With Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh
- PM Narendra Modi Bats For Equal Rights : Here What He Said On Triple Talaq
- Uncle Shivpal Targets Akhilesh, Claims CM Told Him He Will Form Another Party
- Pakistan Continues To Violate Ceasefire In RS Pura
- Samajwadi Party’s internal fight divides SP
- Cyrus Mistry Removed As Chairman of Tata Sons: Here’s What Happened
- Wreath Laying Ceremony Of Slain Soldier Sushil Kumar Observed
- Virat Kohli Powers India Home With Unbeaten 154
- Pakistan Resorts To Heavy Mortar Shelling, 1 BSF Jawan Dead, 3 Injured
- Bigg Boss 10 Weekend Ka Vaar: Priyanka Jagga Evicted
- Here’s How Much Army Welfare Fund Has After MNS Demanded Rs 5 Cr To Cast Pak Artistes
- Shiv Sena Chief Uddhav Thackeray Take A Jibe At MNS: Here’s What He Said
- Samajwadi Party Crisis Deepens: Here’s How It Will Impact UP Polls
Watch What Else Is Making News
Entertainment channels besides the Doordarshan, sports equipment, speedy consideration of parole applications, non-veg food, expansion of barracks were among their demands.
Authorities assured that their genuine demands would be met, the collector said.
Parole applications will be dealt with on time and a digital set-top box will be installed in the jail premises so that they can watch entertainment and news channels, he added.
Additional District Magistrate and Sub-Divisional Magistrate level officers will hold discussions with prisoners from time-to-time to hear their grievances, he added.
Some other demands like non-veg food were unacceptable, but these demands were made only by a section of inmates, the collector said.