Dantewada-based journalist Prabhat Singh, who was arrested for allegedly posting an “obscene message” against a senior police officer on WhatsApp groups, was granted bail by the Chhattisgarh High Court on Wednesday.
Singh had also been charged with three pending cases, two of cheating and one of obstructing public servant on duty. The high court granted him bail on all four charges against him.
Those close to Singh believe that all charges were fabricated, as he was one of the few individuals who spoke out against the Bastar administration.
- Bhupinder Singh Hooda gets bail in Manesar land deal case
- Gorakhpur doctor Kafeel Khan granted bail by Allahabad High Court
- Delhi court grants bail to accused in EC bribery case
- Chhattisgarh: Journalist held for WhatsApp message gets bail
- In Chhattisgarh, journalist held – from outside court
- Chhattisgarh: Journalist arrested for allegedly taking a dig at a cop on WhatsApp
Singh was arrested by police following a complaint about a WhatsApp message that read: “Patrakaar suraksha kanoon se keval unhen parhez hai jo already mama ki ***** mein baithe hai (Only those who are already sitting in mama’s ***** have a problem with the journalists’ protection law).
“Mama” is a term used commonly by journalists in the region to refer to a top police officer in the Bastar range.