Chhattisgarh Congress president Bhupesh Baghel has written to Union Coal Minister Piyush Goyal raising objections to the reported allocation of a coal block in Madanpur South area of the state.
Baghel argued that the area, which has been allotted to Andhra Pradesh Mineral Development Corporation, is in the catchment area of the Hasdev river and is a threat to its existence.
Baghel also pointed out that in assessments carried out by the Environment Ministry itself, 20 blocks in Hasdev have been declared “no-go” areas.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
“The Hasdev Bango Minimata dam is in this very area and irrigates 2.55 lakh hectares of area from Janjgir to Raigarh. This also provides water to Korba district and is the source of 15000 megawatts of power distribution in Korba,” Baghel wrote, adding that areas in Janjgir were already struggling with water shortage because of drought in previous years.
Baghel said the coal block would displace many tribals and disturb the habitat of elephants as well. His letter says the Andhra Pradesh Mineral Development Corporation intends only to sell the coal once procured, raising questions on why it was necessary to mine in an ecologically sensitive zone.