A deputy sarpanch was shot dead allegedly by Naxals in Chhattisgarh’s insurgency-hit Bijapur district after ultras branded him as a police informer, an official said today.
Deputy Sarpanch of Chinna Kodepal village Anganpalli Lachhaiya was shot dead by armed Maoists near his home late last night, a senior police official told PTI.
As per preliminary information, a group of armed naxals stormed into Lachhaiya’s house in Chinna Kodepal, located around 16 km away from Bijapur district headquarters, and dragged him out, he said.
- Contractor's son kidnapped, shot dead by Naxals in Chhattisgarh
- Naxals abduct & kill tribal man
- Maoists kill tribal man on suspicion of being police informer
- Village revenue official killed by Naxals in Chhattisgarh
- Naxals in Dantewada kill ex-sarpanch of Congress
- CRPF jawan, sniffer dog injured in pressure bomb blast
“The rebels badly thrashed Lachhaiya with sticks in front of his family before pumping three bullets into him leaving him dead on the spot,” the official said.
Ultras also threatened his family members and other villagers with dire consequences if they attempt to help police in any way, he said.
After receiving an alert, police personnel reached the spot, he said, adding that security forces have launched a combing operation in the region to nab the assailants.
On June 10, a BJP leader and the member of Zila Panchayat Ramsai Majji (64) was hacked to death by Maoists in Sangampalli village of Bijapur.