A Chandigarh court on Friday sentenced 34 people to one month in jail on charges of drunk driving and fined them Rs 2,000 each, a day after they were caught by police as the city celebrated Holi.
- Graft Case: Accused sent to judicial custody for 14 days
- 68 people challaned for drink driving
- Defacement of public property: Four people fined for advertising on public walls
- Drink driving: Five convicted, made to ‘stand till court rises’
- Chandigarh: Challans issued to 86 for drunk driving
- Two-hour crackdown in Chandigarh: 116 challaned for drunk driving
While the 34 were sent to Model Jail in Burail, Chief Judicial Magistrate Anubhav Sharma fined 35 others, who were caught on Wednesday, Rs 2,000 each for the same offence.
Under Section 185 of Motor Vehicles Act, the maximum punishment for drunk driving is six months’ jail or a fine of Rs 2,000, or both — for the first offence.