A Chandigarh court on Friday sentenced 34 people to one month in jail on charges of drunk driving and fined them Rs 2,000 each, a day after they were caught by police as the city celebrated Holi.
- Crackdown on drunk driving: Seven driving licences found to be fake, recommended for cancellation
- Burail jail: Warder wanted to supply drugs to inmate held in narcotics case last year
- Drink driving: Five convicted, made to ‘stand till court rises’
- Drunken driving on Holi: Chandigarh local court grants bail to 10 convicts
- Drunken driving: 21 convicts furnish bonds of Rs 20,000 each, released on bail
- Caught thrice for drunken driving,MBA student gets jail
While the 34 were sent to Model Jail in Burail, Chief Judicial Magistrate Anubhav Sharma fined 35 others, who were caught on Wednesday, Rs 2,000 each for the same offence.
Under Section 185 of Motor Vehicles Act, the maximum punishment for drunk driving is six months’ jail or a fine of Rs 2,000, or both — for the first offence.