DMK treasurer and leader of the opposition M K Stalin led hundreds of party workers in observing a fast in Thanjavur on Friday, to condemn the Centre’s stand on setting up of the Cauvery Water Management Board.
Apart from Stalin, senior party members Duraimurugan and Ponmudi Participated in the fast. Political parties in Tamil Nadu had recently accused the Centre of “betraying” the state by seeking modification of a Supreme Court order asking it to constitute the Cauvery Water Management Board (CWMB).
The ruling AIADMK and Opposition DMK had alleged that the BJP-led government at the Centre made the move with an eye on the Karnataka Assembly polls, scheduled in 2018.
- Mumbai’s Haji Ali Dargah Trust to SC: Ready to give women access to sanctum sanctorum
- Samajwadi Party Crisis: 5 Quotes By Mulayam Singh Yadav At Press Conference
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Vs Shivaay: What Delhites Pick
- Supreme Court Directs Vijay Mallya To Fully Disclose Foreign Assets In 4 Weeks
- 5 Reasons To Watch Ae Dil Hai Mushkil
- BSP Supremo Mayawati Criticises PM Modi Over Triple Talaq: Here’s What She Said
- Google Pixel XL Phone Review: Pros, Cons And Final Verdict
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Says Army donation Is Voluntary
- Rock On 2 Trailer Launch: Farhan Akhtar, Shraddha Kapoor, Prachi Desai On Their Roles
- Cyrus Mistry’s Career Timeline
- Stalker Kills Woman At Metro Station In Gurgaon: Here’s What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 October 24 Review: Seven Contestants Nominated For Evictions
- Power Struggle In Mulayam’s Party: Here’s What People Reacted
- 1 Dead, 5 Injured In Low Intensity Explosion In Delhi’s Naya Bazaar Area
- Delhi: Naya Bazar Explosion Cctv Footage
On October 5, protests were held in several parts of Tamil Nadu against the NDA-led Union government for its stance in the Apex Court on setting up CMB, with a farmers’ body launching an indefinite fast on the issue in Chennai.
Volunteers of All India Students Federation, affiliated to CPI had staged a protest here and Pro-Tamil and farmers’ outfits staged demonstrations in Tiruchirappalli, Madurai and Puducherry on the issue
Stalin had then said DMK would stage a fast on October 7 in this city to condemn the Centre’s stand on setting up CMB.