Keeping up its pressure on the ruling AIADMK over Cauvery issue, DMK treasurer and Leader of Opposition MK Stalin on Friday called on Tamil Nadu Finance Minister O Panneerselvam and asked the state government to lead an all-party delegation to the Prime Minister in order to urge him to set up the Cauvery Management Board (CMB). A day after convening a meeting of farmers bodies on the Cauvery issue, Stalin handed over resolutions adopted at the farmers’ meet to Panneerselvam who is also holding the portfolios previously held by Chief Minister Jayalalithaa.
Watch: What DMK Chief Karunanidhi Said After Jaya’s Portfolios Allocated To Panneerselvam
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
The resolution urged the state government to immediately convene an all-party meeting and the state assembly. The meet also wanted the AIADMK government to take a delegation of leaders of all parties and farmers’ representatives to Delhi and meet Prime Minister Narendra Modi and President Pranab Mukherjee on the Cauvery issue. A resolution should be adopted in the State Assembly on the Cauvery issue, it was sought.
“We have given the resolution copies to Finance and PWD Ministers. The ministers have assured us that appropriate action will be taken,” Stalin told reporters after calling on Pannerselvam and PWD Minister Edappadi K Palaniswamy. He said his party has sent the copies of the resolution to the State Chief Secretary. DMK senior leader Duraimurugan, former Minister Ponmudi, and former Chennai Mayor Ma Subramanian accompanied Stalin.
On Thursday, DMK had also pledged its support and participation in the 48-hour rail roko agitation called by farmers’ organisations on October 17 and 18 on the Cauvery issue against the Centre in order to urge it to set up the CMB. Stalin meeting Panneerselvam on CMB comes days after he had said that his party would convene an all-party meeting and lead an all-party delegation to Prime Minister Modi if the ruling AIADMK failed to do so.
On October 7, he had said in Thanjavur that it would be appropriate if the ruling government called an all-party meet. However, if the ruling government dragged its feet on the issue, DMK would be taking that step to protect Tamil Nadu’s interests, he had said.