Reacting to the Ministry of Defence’s orders to downgrade the status of Army officers vis-a-vis civilian officers of the Army Headquarters, Punjab Congress chief Captain Amarinder Singh, has demanded resignation of Manohar Parrikar from the post of Defence Minister.
In a statement issued here Tuesday, Amarinder asked Prime Minister Narendra Modi to remove Parrikar from the cabinet in case he failed to quit on his own in the interest of the morale of the Indian Army.
As per reports, a Colonel, who was until now equivalent to a Director, has now been downgraded to a rank equivalent to a joint director. Similarly, a director-ranked civilian officer has been equated to a Brigadier and Principal Director to a Major General. The move has resulted in a major discontent among Army officers who feel that their status is being steadily degraded as compared to their civilian counterparts.
Expressing his disappointment and shock, Amarinder said, “You can imagine how the low morale will effect the country’s strength against its enemies. Who will bear the responsibility for the Army losing its morale?”
He further went on to say, “You will be squarely responsible for any loss of morale. Are you and your government prepared to take the onus of putting India’s strong Army on the path of self-destruction, which could eventually lead to the nation’s destruction?”
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
“The attempt by Parrikar to humiliate the Army is a continuous process, which needs to be immediately stopped,” said the PPCC chief, adding that the partisan and bureaucrat-centric approach of the minister could cause the nation to pay a heavy price.
Amarinder said Parrikar had time and again proved himself to be worst Defence Minister in India’s history. “You cannot play around with the Army to further your interests. As an ex-soldier of the Indian Army I know what an Army personnel deserves and a proper ranking is just one of those things,” Amarinder added.