The Union Cabinet, after its expansion on Tuesday, took a series of decisions including renaming of high courts in Kolkata, Bombay and Chennai, and approving short-term loans to be given to farmers.
Addressing a press conference after the cabinet expansion, Telecom Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad said,”from now on Calcutta High Court will be known as Kolkata HC, Bombay HC as Mumbai HC and Madras HC as Chennai HC.”
- Names of Calcutta, Madras, Bombay HCs may not change in near future: Govt
- Madras, Bombay HCs to be called Chennai, Mumbai
- High courts of Bombay, Madras to undergo change in names
- Twitterati react to Cabinet changing names of high courts: 'Mumbai is a name, Bombay a feeling'
- Buddha nod for renaming Calcutta HC
- Buddha for a Kolkata in High Court
The cabinet also gave ‘in-principle’ approval for setting up a major port at Enayam near Colachel in TamilNadu. It also approved long-term contract with Mozambique for import of pulses either via pvt channels or Govt-to-Govt sales via State Agencies.
Earlier in the day, nineteen new ministers were included in the council of ministers.