The Union Cabinet under the Chairmanship of Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Wednesday approved The Transgender Persons (Protection of Rights) Bill 2016.
Through this bill the government has evolved a mechanism for their social, economic and educational empowerment.
The bill will benefit a large number of transgender persons, mitigate the stigma, discrimination and abuse against this marginalized section and bring them into the mainstream of society.
It will lead to greater inclusiveness and will make the transgender persons productive members of the society.
- Batman Day: 15 things you might not know about the Caped Crusader and his universe
- Reliance Jio to deliver 6 million JioPhones in 15 days starting tomorrow
- Globalisation is here to stay, we proved sceptics wrong: Manmohan Singh
- Meet Frida the Labrador who has been saving lives in disasters across the world
- North Korea 'more opaque' after YouTube propaganda ban: monitors
- England vs West Indies 3rd ODI Live Online Streaming: When is England vs West Indies 3rd ODI, where is ENG vs WI ODI, live TV coverage
Transgender community is among one of the most marginalized communities in the country because they don’t fit into the stereotypical categories of gender of ‘men’ or ‘women’.
Consequently they face problems ranging from social exclusion to discrimination, lack of education facilities, unemployment, lack of medical facilities and so on.
The bill will make all the stakeholders responsive and accountable for upholding the principles underlying the Bill.
It will bring greater accountability on the part of the Central Government and Slate Governments/Union Territories Administrations for issues concerning Transgender persons.