BMS Thiruvananthapuram district joint secretary Govind R Thampi was arrested on Sunday on charges of threatening to kill Asianet News TV chief coordinating editor Sindhu Sooryakumar.
Thampi, in his Facebook page, had stated that he would kill Sooryakumar, who had insulted Durga Devi, and challenged those with guts to register a case against him. He was later released on bail.
- Rajasthan: Man held for burning to death two wives in car, showing it as mishap
- Mother, boyfriend held for ‘killing 6-year-old to keep affair secret’
- Kerala: CPM MLA's heated TV debate with Dalit activist - viral response
- Another Word For Fear
- TV news anchor gets 2,000 threat calls after discussion on Mahishasur Jayanti, 5 arrested
- JNU row: Threats flow over phone, email, social media
Last week, police arrested five persons — all members of various Sangh Parivar outfits — in connection with abusing Sooryakumar.
Sooryakumar had moderated a discussion on a popular news show on whether celebrating Mahishasur Jayanti could be considered an act of treason, after which she received 2,000-odd threat calls on her cellphone.
One of the five accused told police that he got Sooryakumar’s number from a WhatsApp group called Sanga Dhwani. Three others, arrested from Kannur, are members of Sri Rama Sena.