West Bengal BJP president Dilip Ghosh was today arrested by Kolkata Police for holding a road blockade to demand land and other rights for the people of enclaves in Coochbehar district which were given to India by Bangladesh. hosh, along with 26 others, was arrested during the agitation on Central Avenue. The road blockade which lasted for more than half an hour caused huge traffic snarls in the entire central Kolkata region.
“Ghosh and 26 others were arrested for blocking the road. Ghosh was later released,” an official of Kolkata Police said. Ghosh along with party workers and leaders had organised a rally demanding land and other rights for people of Chitmahal. The rally started from Sealdah station to College square and was followed by a sit in at College Square-Central Avenue.
“It has been more than a year that enclaves were exchanged. But the enclave dwellers are yet to get their rights for land and job opportunities.The state government is sitting idle and doing nothing. Quick disposal of land records and settlements were promised. But these demands are yet to be met,” Ghosh said. Later, when Ghosh blocked the road, he along with others was arrested.
Bangladesh and India have exchanged 162 adversely held enclaves on August 1, 2015 at the stroke of midnight, ending one of the world’s most complex border disputes that had lingered since seven decades. Altogether 111 Indian enclaves measuring 17,160 acres became Bangladesh territory and similarly, 51 Bangladesh enclaves measuring 7,110 acres became Indian territory. All the Indian enclaves are located in West Bengal’s Coochbehar district. The 51 enclaves are spread across Dinhata, Mekliganj, Sitai, Sitalkuchi and Toofanganj assembly constituencies.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016