The anti-corruption vigilance sleuths Tuesday arrested two engineers on charge of demanding and accepting illegal gratification from contractors in separate incidents, officials said.
In both the cases, the engineers demanded bribe from contractors for passing of their pending bills. The first report came from a hotel in the state capital where Gopal Chandra Nayak, Executive Engineer, Public Health Division, Koraput, Jeypore, was arrested by the sleuths.
Nayak had received Rs two lakh from a contractor Kulamani Sahoo, who was awarded with the work of Energy Saving Proposal of Pumping Units and Lighting arrangement at Jeypore Clear Water and Raw Water Pumping Station.
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
- Jayalalithaa’s Health: AIADMK Women Supporters Continue Special Prayers For CM
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle First Look Video
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
Sahoo was undertaking work for a project worth Rs 1.7 crore. On completion of the work, Sahoo received a payment of Rs 64,48,000 as the first bill leaving a balance of Rs 30 lakh.
When Sahoo requested executive engineer Nayak to pass the arrear bill, he (Nayak) demanded a bribe of Rs two lakh, an official release issued by the vigilance department said. During a trap at a hotel here, the sleuths caught Nayak red handed, it said adding, Nayak received the bribe money in his right hand and kept it on the centre table of his room.
Watch what else is in the news
“The right hand wash of the accused as well as the wash of centre table were taken in sodium carbonate solution, which gave positive chemical reaction confirming acceptance of bribe money,” it said adding, he (Nayak) has been arrested.
A case has been registered against Nayak under Prevention of Corruption Act. The residential government quarter of Nayak along with his parental house at Nabarangpur and a two-storied building at Santoshi Nagar, Jeypore town, were being searched to unearth disproportionate assets, it said.
In another incident, the anti-corruption sleuths in Balasore district, caught assistant engineer Kumuda Chandra Pradhan red handed while he was taking a bribe of Rs 10,000 from a contractor. Pradhan was working under the Odisha Lift Irrigation Corporation. Like Nayak, Pradhan was arrested and his house searched.