A major fire broke out in a hospital in Bhubaneswar, killing at least 19 patients and leaving several other patients in a critical condition. The deaths were caused due to asphyxiation. The fire broke out in ICU and dialysis ward of SUM Hospital-cum-medical college, an upscale hospital on the outskirts of Bhubaneswar on Monday evening.
WATCH VIDEO: Fire At Bhubaneswar Hospital Kills 19 Patients
According to initial reports 22 people were declared dead by privately-owned AMRI Hospital and government-owned Capital, where the patients were admitted after evacuation. Later, Odisha Chief Secretary Aditya Padhi confirmed that 19 people died during the fire. So far 100 are being treated in different hospitals across the city, with most patients admitted to AIIMS Bhubaneswar.
AB Ota, Revenue Divisional Commissioner, told the media that all people being treated at various hospital were being given free treatment. This however, is not the only time when the place meant to cure has turned deadly.
Here’s a look at previous hospital fires in the country:
AMRI Hospital, Kolkata
On the night of December 9, 2011, the basement of the AMRI hospital in Kolkata caught fire, choking to death 91 patients. The fire was suspected to have been caused by inflammable material stored in the basement of the multi-speciality private hospital. All the six directors of the hospital had surrendered to the police and were arrested for culpable homicide and negligence. The compensation provided for each victim was Rs 5 lakh.
WATCH VIDEO: Bhubaneswar Fire: Fire Victims At Capital Hospital
Gokul Hospital, Mumbai
A fire broke out on November 7, 2013 at Gokul Hospital in Mumbai, killing one doctor due to asphyxiation. The fire broke out around 3 am in a meter box on the the first floor of the ground-plus-three storey Munshi Estate building and gutted the OPD section of the hospital.
Murshidabad Medical College, Kolkata
Earlier in August 27, 2016, a fire broke out in the Murshidabad Medical College in Kolkata, in an air-conditioning machine installed on the second floor of a vacant VIP cabin at the main medical ward. While the fire didn’t kill anyone, at least two persons died and more than 20 were injured in a stampede that followed the fire.