Despite state government’s approval of several projects in the villages of Sarawan and Behbal Khurd, the families of 2015 Behbal Kalan firing victims are still waiting for the day when the culprits who shot Gurjeet Singh and Krishan Bhagwan are punished.
Notably, the FIR filed by the police mentions ‘unidentified cops’ who fired at the public.
“Till date the people behind the incident have not been booked. Moreover, the Zora Singh Commission has worked on fixing a compensation of more than Rs 25 lakhs rather than punishing the culprits.
- Behbal Kalan firing case: Two years later, inquiry shifted to Ferozepur police
- Punjab: SGPC installs pictures of four ‘martyrs’ killed in 1986 police firing
- Bargadi desecration & Behbal Kalan Firing: Attorney General for fresh investigation
- A year after desecration and deaths in police firing, the anger persists
- Behbal Kalan Firing: Foundation stones laid for memorials in Faridkot
- Behbal Kalan firing incident: Rs 1-crore compensation for victim’s kin, says Katju’s report
The government is making all efforts to bury the issue,” said Prabhadeep Singh, son of Bhagwan. Echoing similar views, Bhagwan’s wife Veerpal Kaur said, “We do not approve the Zora Singh Commission’s report as there is no mention on punishing the culprits who killed our family members. Infact, Justice Markenday Katju had given a clear report, which the government is not ready to accept.”
Though the state government has provided jobs of senior lab assitant (SLA) to Sukhraj Singh, another son of Bhagwan and Jagdeep Singh, brother of Gurpreet, but the families are not happy with the salaries that they are drawing currently.
“He was getting a good package in Kenya along with my husband. But after the death of Gurpreet, I never allowed him to go back. Though, my husband went back as he had to complete his work contract. Jagdeep had great plans for his future, and he would have never worked at such a meagre salary of Rs 5,985 per month. The compensation holds no meaning for us. We were forced to accept it,” said Amarjeet Kaur, mother of Jagdeep.
Clarifying the present salary that both Sukhraj and Jagdeep are drawing, MS Jaggi DC Faridkot said that both have been provided permanent government jobs bit for the first two years, they have to serve a probation period. Hence, they have been paid only the basic salary as per norms.