Strongly condemning the bomb explosion that took place during an Eid prayer congregation in Bangladesh’s Kishoreganj town, the Congress on Thursday asked the nation to stand united against terrorism.
“It is very unfortunate. Nearly, 20 people were killed by the terrorists in Bangladesh earlier during Ramzan. It is very unfortunate that the terrorists indulge in these kinds of activities in the month of Ramzan, when people pray and think of God. It is a very shameful thing and also a matter of concern,” Senior Congress leader Ghulam Nabi Azad told ANI.
“We strongly condemn this. The whole nation should stand united against terrorism,” he added.
- Indians killed in Iraq: Never gave any false hope to anyone, says Sushma; Opposition says govt ‘insensitive’
- Army should not look into growth of any political parties, says Ghulam Nabi Azad
- Attack on Army camp reflects NDA govt’s failure: Ghulam Nabi Azad
- Sunjuwan attack: Congress slams Modi govt, BJP says don’t do politics on tragedy; here’s how politicians reacted
- Our phones are tapped, fear is all around, says Leader of Opposition Ghulam Nabi Azad
- Bangladesh wants India to raise Rohingya refugees issue in UN
The incident took place around 9:45 am local time in the Sholakia field of Kishoreganj, where people gather each year for Eid congregation. It is said to be the country’s largest Eid congregation.
Superintendent of Police Mohmmad Anwar Hossain Khan confirmed that one person had been killed. However, reports suggest that another person has also been killed.
Miscreants of unknown origin had taken shelter at a nearby Azimuddin School and the police have launched a counter-offensive to nab them, reports the Daily Star.
According to reports, the witnesses said about 300,000 to 400,000 Muslims, who had gathered at Sholakia to offer Eid prayers and were trapped because of the ongoing gun battle between the cops and the miscreants.
It is said that a group of six to seven people had led the attack on the policemen when a frisking operation at the Eidgah ground was on.
Policemen were also attacked with sharp weapons and bombs. Kishoreganj Sadar Police Station Officer-in-Charge Mizanul Haque confirmed that police constable Jahirul was killed in the attack.
The explosion comes days after a terror attack on the Holey Artisan Bakery in Dhaka’s upscale Gulshan area, claimed 22 lives, including some foreigners. The attack drew worldwide condemnation.
The ISIS has claimed responsibility for the incident and even warned of more attacks in Bangladesh.