Delhi BJP spokesperson Ashwini Upadhyay has written to Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal urging him to impose a ban on alcohol and other intoxicating drinks in the national capital.
“I request you to take appropriate action to ban liquor and other intoxicating drinks and drugs completely in National Capital Territory of Delhi in the spirit of Article 47 of the Constitution of India and make a liquor-free Delhi,” Upadhyay has said in his letter.
Prohibition is connected with public health and to enforce the ban effectively, a wider definition would have to be given to the word ‘liquor’ in order to include all alcoholic liquids which may be used as substitutes for intoxicating drinks, he said.
- No law to stop a convicted person from forming party: Govt to Supreme Court
- BJP to boycott all party-meet called by CM Arvind Kejriwal to discuss sealing drive
- PIL in SC against nikah-halala
- Despite Delhi ‘crisis’, Centre not looking at President’s Rule
- It’s AAP vs BJP again as CM Kejriwal plans to move Supreme Court over sealing drive in Delhi
- SC strikes down BJP leader’s plea for nationwide liquor ban
He contended that it is the duty of the state to do so as per the Constitution.
According to various studies, liquor consumption results in many physical and mental disorders like blackouts, memory loss, anxiety and permanent brain damage, he said.
“Alcoholism affects behavior and ability to learn and remember. Drinking alcohol is the second biggest risk factor for mouth, throat and liver cancer. Alcohol causes hypertension, which increases the risk of heart attack,” he said.