The Punjab government will move a resolution on the Sutlej-Yamuna Link (SYL) issue in the Vidhan Sabha that “sharing even a drop of water would ne tantamount to signing of death warrants of the state.”
The acceptance of notice for resolution by Speaker Charanjit Singh Atwal on Wednesday will mean that the adjournment motion by the opposition Congress on the issue in the Assembly will be rejected. As per rules, if the leader of the House moves a resolution, the Speaker has to given preference to him over the opposition. Hence, the Congress’ move for motion of adjournment stands rejected. CLP leader Charanjit Singh Channi has condemned the move.
- Haryana will ask Centre for early execution of SC order on Sutlej-Yamuna Link: CM
- SYL canal issue: 34 years, 3 Supreme Court orders later, link that can’t be made
- SYL: Punjab Assembly thumbs nose at SC
- Punjab Assembly condemns Haryana INLD MLAs’ attempt to enter House
- Punjab Assembly passes Bill against construction of Satluj Yamuna Link
- Simply Put: Decades on, why SYL canal remains a bridge too far for Punjab, Haryana
By bringing in a resolution, the CM has not only pre-empted the Congress’ bid to champion the cause of waters but would virtually force the Opposition into sitting through his address. Earlier, Congress had announced they would not let Badal speak on the floor of the house and would boycott it. Congress is now left with no option but to sit through the resolution as boycotting the discussion would not hold them in good stead in front of the people, political commentators said.
In the notice, Badal has said that Punjab does not have a single drop of water to spare, as 73 per cent water is drawn from underground watertable to meet agriculture needs. “And the watertable is declining fast. The situation has taken a dangerous turn,” the notice reads.