Condemning the Uri terror attack, an Islamic body today urged the Centre to take all possible steps to avoid war with Pakistan and suggested that the two sides hold dialogue to resolve the disputes. Addressing a press conference, office-bearers of the Jamaat-e-Islami Hind (JIH) also flagged concerns over alleged slow pace of probe in the Mewat double murder and gangrape incident as it claimed that the handling of the case indicates the Haryana government is “shielding” culprits.
The also hit out at the BJP government in Assam over its anti-illegal immigrant drive, alleging that the members of the Muslim community there are being harassed in the name of the initiative. “We strongly condemn the (Uri) terror attack and death of the soldiers. (But) both India and Pakistan must show wisdom and sincerity using path of dialogue and consultation in order to resolve their issues.”
Watch What Else Is Making News
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Audience Reaction: Ranbir, Aishwarya, Anushka Starrer Gets A Thumbs Up
- Bigg Boss 10, October 27 Review: Navin, Lokesh Fights During The Immunity Task
- Shivaay Audience Reaction: Ajay Devgn Impresses Viewers
- Pakistan High Commission Staffer Caught With Defence Documents: What It Means For India & Pakistan
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
“War is not a panacea for our problems. India must take all steps to avoid war with Pakistan,” JIH president Maulana Syed Jalaluddin Umari told reporters, according to a statement. He also asked the government to devise ways to curb breach of security “like it happened in the Uri incident”. Further targeting the Haryana government over the Mewat incident, he alleged that the handling of the case suggests the Manohar Lal Khattar dispensation is “trying to shield culprits and side with a particular community”.
Haryana government had on September 20 handed over to CBI the probe into the murder case of a couple and alleged gangrape of two girls in Mewat on the intervening night of August 24 and 25 in which their kin had suspected the role of cow vigilantes.
JIH secretary general Muhammad Salim Engineer, who also briefed the press, voiced concerns over Assam government’s anti-illegal immigrant drive and claimed many community members have been put in jail without proper probe.