Attacks, failure to release funds hit PM’s scholarship scheme for Kashmir students

This year, only 941 avail scholarship to study outside J&K — down from 3,700 two years ago.

Written by Bashaarat Masood | Srinagar | Published:December 21, 2015 1:42 am
Prime Minister Scholarship scheme, PM Scholarship scheme, Kashmiri students scholarship scheme, Prime Minister’s Special Scholarship Scheme, PMSSS Kashmiri students, Scholarship Kashmiri youth, indian express, India news Five thousand scholarships are announced every year.

FIVE YEARS after it was launched, the Prime Minister’s Special Scholarship Scheme (PMSSS), aimed at providing educational opportunities to Kashmiri youth outside the state, has lost much of its appeal.

This year, only about a quarter of the people selected for the scholarships took it up, with students citing fear of violence against them as well as the government’s failure to pay the scholarships to the selected students as deterrents.

Under the scheme, launched in 2010, 5,000 scholarships are announced every year. According to official numbers, this academic year, 11,155 students competed for the scholarships, and 3,742 students were selected for different courses — 1,629 students for engineering and 2,113 for general courses. But only 941 of the selected students took up the scholarships — 728 for engineering, and 213 for other courses.

Students who The Indian Express spoke to gave two main reasons for not taking up the offer of fully-paid higher studies outside the state — one, the attacks on Kashmiri students in colleges outside the state; and two, the government’s failure to release scholarships to hundreds of students last year.

“I was ready and keen to move out of the state for my higher education,” said Abdul Momin, a student from Srinagar. “But my parents didn’t allow me. My mother, specifically, prevented me from going citing the attacks on Kashmiri students.”

In March 2014, several Kashmiri students were injured in a scuffle with local students at Swami Vivekanadna Bharti University in Meerut when they supported the Pakistan cricket team during a match with India. The college administration rusticated 60 Kashmiri students and police booked them for sedition. The sedition charge was dropped later. The same month, Kashmiri students were attacked at Mewar University in Rajasthan leading to clashes.

In May 2014, Kashmiri students were attacked and forced to raise pro-India and anti-Pakistan slogans at Noida International University in Uttar Pradesh. Soon after, there was an attack on Kashmiri students at Swami Parmanand College of Engineering and Technology in Mohali. Eight Kashmiri students were seriously injured in the attack.

“My son had applied for the scholarship without my knowledge,” says Abdul Rashid Bhat, a resident of Sopore. “When he was selected, he told me about it. I sought advice from some college professors and they advised against it. They gave me many reasons like hostile environment, lack of quality education and inadequate infrastructure and faculty in the colleges.”

The students also blame the Central government for failing to release scholarship funds. “I had applied for the scholarship programme but decided not to join after a relative dissuaded me,” said Abid Rashid, a student from Baramulla. “He told me how he was thrown out of the college and lost one year because the government didn’t release the course fee to the college.”

Under the PMSSS, students admitted in colleges outside are paid course fee, hostel fee and cost of books during the course of study. Students enrolled for general courses are paid Rs 30,000 per year while students pursuing engineering and medical sciences are given Rs 1.25 lakh and Rs 3 lakh respectively. Students are also paid hostel fee and incidental charges up to Rs 1 lakh each year.

Students for the special scholarship scheme are enrolled through their respective colleges. “We received only 250 applications this year,” said Nisar Iqbal, the Nodal Officer for Baramulla Degree College.

“There are multiple reasons for the poor response from students. What happened in Meerut University (where Kashmiri students were beaten) is one of the main reasons. The others include lack of quality education, unavailability of good courses and lack of proper coordination between various constituents. We have examples where students were selected for a particular course in a particular college. But when they went there, they were told that this college doesn’t offer that particular course,” Iqbal said.

Before colleges were entrusted with the screening process and selection, students were selected by NGOs. “A large number of students were duped by these NGOs. They took money from the students and colleges and admitted students in colleges which didn’t fall under the scheme. The result was that a large number of students had to withdraw as the Centre didn’t pay their fee,” a senior officer in the higher education department said. “A case in this regard is already before the Crime Branch.”

J&K Minister of Higher Education Nayeem Akhtar says though it was a “very good” scheme, it was “half-baked” and there were problems of implementation. “We are on the path of reform and we are hopeful it will pick up,” Akhtar told The Indian Express.

“There were a large number of courses that are not usually taken by our students. Also, there were limited seats for professional courses. We are rationalising the courses and more and more professional courses will come in it.”

While only 38 students enrolled for the first batch in the 2011-12 academic session under the PMSSS, the number swelled to 3,300 and 3,700 in 2012-13 and 2013-14.

From 2014, the Centre made AICTE the nodal agency for the programme while degree colleges of the state were made nodal centres. However, it was the time when attacks on Kashmiri students began and though AICTE allotted seats to more than 2,000 students, only 1,700 students availed it. This year, the number dipped to 941.

For all the latest India News, download Indian Express App now

arun dev
    Mar 26, 2017 at 6:29 pm
    sorry bro AICTE make the futures of jandk students but jandK youth doen't relies....why they are supporting stan whyn't india.. if they like stan then go away..more query contact me lt;br/gt;lt;br/gt;jai hind jai bharat
      MOHD TAQI
      Aug 4, 2016 at 5:34 pm
      AICTE this organization play with the future of jandk students lt;br/gt;The scheme was very sample when AICTE is not attach with scheme lt;br/gt;I Mohd Taqi apply for scholarship in July 2015 before applying I check all the terms and conductions with in few days AICTE publishe a provisional eligible list of students and I short listed by AICTE In that listlt;br/gt;After that they ask me to join counselling at jammu I went there and attend the counselling and allotted me in shri lal bahdu shastri Maha vidhyalah Gang Basoda Madhya Pradash. when I try to find out the details of insution but I find only a pincode of insution. lt;br/gt;I'm not join the AICTE allotted college bcz of this two reasonlt;br/gt;1 in can't find the proper information about the insuted lt;br/gt;2 its difficult for me to go alone bcz I'm first time come out side the district and state lt;br/gt;Now I try to find a college at my level where my friends are already study and the college is eligible as per the scheme guide line lt;br/gt;One of my friend say there is one college in Jaipur called suresh Gyan Vihar University where already 400 student from jandk study under same scheme. Before Joining SGVU I check the approval of insution and I find that its approved under 2f of ugc act lt;br/gt;And accourding to terms its eligble insution for PMSSS bcz university is located out side the jandk and also approved by UGC according to terms of scheme guide line.lt;br/gt;After that I take admission in SGVU JAIPUR in August 2015. Till now I'm eligible for getting scholarship after 3 or 4 months in Nov December AICTE change the terms of scheme and upload one list of not eligible students I totally shocked when I fond my name in list of not eligible students remark as "your university is not approved by UGC act 12b" lt;br/gt;Its totally unfair bcz when I apply for scheme there is no 12b clearance. At that time only UGC approval is required and my university is approved by UGC I take admission in this insution as per previous terms if AICTE change the terms after I join the college so its not my fault.lt;br/gt;I discuss this issue with AICTE by sending mails in reply they say we are helpless bcz ur university not having 12b approval lt;br/gt;Its totally unfair lt;br/gt;And I need help from our media kindly help me to take this issue to our higher political leaders and AICTE
        M M
        Dec 21, 2015 at 5:54 am
        An excellent report. It is unfortunate that the scholarship scheme has not been effectively implemented by the Central government due to lackadaisical atude of the concerned officials. In the last five years, 25000 students should have benefited. Against this, only 8000 students were awarded scholarship. Likewise, other central schemes namely Udaan and Himayat, which are meant for augmenting training and employment opportunities have also been similarly flopped owing to lack of will of the centre. Unfortunately, sincere effort is not made to remove alienation among kashmiri students. In the backdrop of huge expenditure on law and order problems, which are largely attributable to lack of opportunities for realization of youths' aspirations, the governments do not see it necessary to invest in youth for their empowerment and rehabilitation. Will the central and state governments rise to occasion and implement the programs for development of youth?
          arc
          Dec 21, 2015 at 8:23 am
          Another of PM's empty promises. Bluff master.
            Karunakaran
            Dec 21, 2015 at 2:15 am
            Mr Nitish Kumar is indeed “prime ministerial material”. The entire India as well many non-Indians recognise him as “the most competent and honest chief minister in the country”. As there is an absolute guarantee that the current accidental PM cannot continue in Delhi, Mr Nitish Kumar needs to prepare himself to be India's next PM. Mr Nitish Kumar is not only an able national leader, but also is recognised world-wide as a dignified statesman. India can at last heave a sigh of relief of having a leader that is not going to run after the goras for a selfie. The goras are not that special. But who is going to tell the primary-school qualified chaiwallah that?
            1. L
              Lovely
              Dec 20, 2015 at 11:44 pm
              In Kashmir, non-Kashmirs are not allowed , but they are allowed --- this is Art 370. These scholarships are tax payers money?
                Pork Kabab
                Dec 21, 2015 at 6:31 am
                I think there should be reciprocal scholarships. Indians can study in J&K and J&K idio@ts can study in other parts of India. The condition should be If one Indian student is touched in J&K, 3 Kashmiri students will be thrashed. I think this will be win-win situation for all. This will serve as a deterrent.
                  Pork Kabab
                  Dec 21, 2015 at 6:27 am
                  There are many engineering colleges in Bihar. Let them go there and study. They have their sickular godfathers - lalu and nitish. They can take Indian tax payer's money as scholarship and raise slogans against India.
                    satchin
                    Dec 21, 2015 at 3:03 am
                    Bihar is the most backward place in India and Mr Kumar along with lallu and congress have ruled this state right from the beginning having these s ruling over the country when they have failed in their own state is like handing the sword to the monkey by the king in the proverbial story . Indians collective intelligence and vision for the country will surely prevent this .
                    1. V
                      Vinod Vinayak
                      Dec 21, 2015 at 3:48 am
                      The corruption in Bihar is very high now. Soon after BJP was made to leave the last coalition government the w development work came to stand still and that is persisting till now even after the formation of new coalition government of lalu, nitish, rahul etc. every day goods from Jharkhand enters in the border area of Bihar and are sold cheaply as the taxation rate is low there. the police, the s tax department, the MVI department are all in unison. the bribe thus collected ( for letting the untaxed business to go on) must reach the top level of governance. there is a small town by the name of Amarpur, where at least 6 trucks of cement is unloaded daily in the morning and they all come from Devghar in Jharkhand. there is an auction of police post in Bihar as well as in Amarpur. do u really think nitish would not be knowing these things. if he is in the know or not; either way he will be called a what?
                      1. V
                        Vinod Vinayak
                        Dec 21, 2015 at 7:06 am
                        both are already doing that without your prompting.
                        1. V
                          Vinod Vinayak
                          Dec 21, 2015 at 7:07 am
                          rightly said. sad but true.
                          1. N
                            niki
                            Dec 21, 2015 at 5:21 am
                            Such a long winded news report fail to elaborate the reason for ault on Kashmiri youths ? These students though fed on Indian budget and tax payers, want to raise Pro stani slogans and flags ? Who will tolerate this kind of betrayal - not in our country - Is it not enough that anti national feelings and actions are accepted within Valley that they think they can do it UP ? Offcourse not - The scheme should ask all student who want to avail it, to swear by Indian Consution and allegiance to Soverign India and those who do not , need not apply or to be considered.
                            1. B
                              BM
                              Dec 20, 2015 at 11:54 pm
                              Can Nisar Iqbal, the Nodal Officer for Baramulla Degree College, tell us that why it is so important for these thakless converted Muslims to raise pro- anti-India slogan while enjoying Hindu tax payer's money ? In other words, Muslims are nanak harams.
                              1. B
                                BM
                                Dec 21, 2015 at 6:53 am
                                Laloo and Nitish will join them in anti-India slogans.