Lakhimpur witnessed an extraordinary event, where two souls were united solely with the intention of appeasing the rain god Indra, however, the bride and groom appeared to be without any embellishments and were silent throughout the ceremony as the bride was a frog and the groom a bamboo puppet!
According to mythological belief, holding a frog marriage ensures ample rainfall. As part of the wedding, a wild female frog is married off to a wooden figurine, representative of the Hindu god of rain, Indra.
“We have faith. Last year also, we had performed this ritual, so, all of us who have been affected by poor rainfall, have decided to hold this ritual. We have proof of last year. This year also we expect god to be kind to us, and therefore, we have organized a frog marriage,” said a local resident.
The wedding was solemnized by a priest and all rituals held were the same as that of a standard Indian wedding. Vermillion was applied on the frog’s forehead – insignia of a married Indian woman.
Women and children gathered to take part in the wedding.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
Even in this age and time, marriages of frog, goat, donkey and tree are still solemnized in Indian interior villages for the early arrival of the monsoon.