In a suspected case of fratricide, an army jawan was killed and another injured on Thursday in a firing incident in Ganderbal district of Kashmir.
“One jawan has died while another was injured in firing incident at Safapora in Ganderbal district today,” an army official said.
He said a court of inquiry has been ordered to ascertain the circumstances leading to the incident.
- Sunjuwan attack: Five Armymen killed in Jammu camp attack, four of them from Kashmir
- Woman killed, 3 jawans injured in cross-LoC shelling: JK govt
- Srinagar hospital firing LIVE UPDATES: City on high alert after Pakistani militant escapes, two cops killed
- Measures taken to avoid loss of life in Pakistan shelling: J-K govt
- Ceasefire violation: Four soldiers, including Army Captain, killed in Pakistani shelling
- Jammu and Kashmir: Two civilians, Army jawan killed as Pak violates ceasefire near Akhnoor, BSF retaliates effectively
Watch Video: What’s making news
Defence sources, however, said it was an incident of fratricide in which one jawan shot at and injured his colleague before committing suicide.
Police officials said they have taken cognizance of the incident and were awaiting a report from the army for further proceedings in the case.