VICE-CHIEF of Army Staff Lt. Gen. Bipin Rawat on Friday briefed members of the Parliamentary Standing Committee on Defence on the September 29 surgical strikes across the Line of Control in Kashmir. This came a day after two Congress members in the committee objected in writing to what they alleged was a “last-minute change” in the panel’s agenda against briefing them over the surgical strikes “under the garb of secrecy”.
Sources said Congress Rajya Sabha MPs Ambika Soni and Madhusudan Mistry, the panel members who had on Thursday issued a statement, also took up the issue today with the committee’s chairman, Maj Gen B C Khanduri (Retd).
There was an “open debate” among them on the issue and a Congress member wanted to ask questions but Khanduri reportedly did not allow questions to be taken. Rawat appeared before the panel and briefed it for more than five minutes after the committee shed its initial reluctance to take up the matter, a panel member said.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
Khanduri later told the media, “The first subject (in today’s meeting) was that there should be a briefing by the Defence Ministry. On that issue, Vice Chief of Army Staff Lt Gen Bipin Rawat gave a briefing in the presence of the Defence Secretary (G Mohan Kumar)…. Then there was the issue of proxy voting (for soldiers in general elections).”
Pressed further about the subject of the briefing, he said, “The term being used for this is surgical strike across the Line of Control.”
Asked whether he took notice of the statement the Congress had made on Thursday about the panel changing the agenda of the meeting, Khanduri called it a “misunderstanding”.