Basanta Kumar Doley, the third member of the Assam Public Service Commission (APSC), who was arrested late Monday evening in connection with the ongoing investigations into the huge cash-for-jobs scandal, was remanded in 14 days police custody by a special court here on Tuesday. Doley was allegedly absconding after the police began looking for him in connection with the scandal in which two other members – chairman Rakesh Kumar Paul and Samedur Rahman – have already been arrested along with one official. The special court on Tuesday sent him to 14 days police custody, senior lawyer Bijan Mahajan said.
A professor of English in Silapathar College, Lakhimpur, before he was appointed APSC member, Doley had burnt a heap of papers removed from his chamber a day after APSC chairman Paul was arrested on November 4. Doley, who claimed that those were unimportant papers and he had asked his peon to burn them in order to ward off mosquitoes in the APSC campus, disappeared soon after the police started looking for him.
Police said Doley was picked up late Monday from his house in Silapathar and brought to Guwahati. He was produced before a special court on Tuesday. Yet another arrested APSC member Samedur Rahman – also a former college teacher – on Tuesday made a statement before a magistrate, with speculations that he was willing to confess his crime and become an approver.
The three APSC members, including chairman Paul, were arrested one after the other after police first caught red handed one government engineer while collecting a bribe of Rs 10 lakh from a dentist who had applied for a job through the APSC. While Nabakanta Patir, the engineer was arrested on October 27, member Rahman’s PSO Mamud Ali Choudhury was arrested in Rangiya three days later. While member Samedur Rahman was arrested on November 10, Pabitra Kaibarta, APSC assistant controller of examinations was arrested in Guwahati two days later.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More