Police on Saturday arrested three men for allegedly setting fire to two birs of Guru Granth Sahib and 10 gutkas (religious scriptures) at Baba Jiwan Singh Gurdwara in Ramdiwali Musalmana village in Amritsar district. Police said Prem alias Tittu Masih, Raju Masih alias Rajan and Shamsher Shera set fire to the religious texts during an attempted robbery at the gurdwara on Friday night. All three men hail from the village.
- Desecration at Amristar village: FIR against villagers for thrashing SHO, holding him captive
- ‘Short circuit caused fire at SGPC press’: Probe panel on May accident
- Ludhiana: Woman Shot Dead For Desecrating Guru Granth Sahib
- Ludhiana: Woman accused of desecrating Guru Granth Sahib shot dead
- Amritsar: Fire at SGPC press, 5 birs of Guru Granth Sahib destroyed
- SGPC to enhance security around holy books in gurdwaras
Police have recovered a bottle that the accused allegedly used to carry petrol to burn the birs while the golak (box to collect offering) at the gurdwara was allegedly found broken. “There are cases of theft pending against them. Their prime motive was to steal money from the golak and they lit the fire to divert attention,” said SSP (rural) Jagdeep Singh. Villagers, however, alleged that the three aimed to hurt religious feelings.