Police on Saturday arrested three men for allegedly setting fire to two birs of Guru Granth Sahib and 10 gutkas (religious scriptures) at Baba Jiwan Singh Gurdwara in Ramdiwali Musalmana village in Amritsar district. Police said Prem alias Tittu Masih, Raju Masih alias Rajan and Shamsher Shera set fire to the religious texts during an attempted robbery at the gurdwara on Friday night. All three men hail from the village.
- When is Gurpurab in 2017?
- Desecration at Amristar village: FIR against villagers for thrashing SHO, holding him captive
- After another desecration, SGPC member assaulted at police station
- More desecrations of holy book: Conspiracy to disrupt peace, says Punjab CM Badal
- In Punjab: Man shoots at migrant labourer inside police station
- Udhampur tense after Guru Granth Sahib copies,gutkas thrown into well
Police have recovered a bottle that the accused allegedly used to carry petrol to burn the birs while the golak (box to collect offering) at the gurdwara was allegedly found broken. “There are cases of theft pending against them. Their prime motive was to steal money from the golak and they lit the fire to divert attention,” said SSP (rural) Jagdeep Singh. Villagers, however, alleged that the three aimed to hurt religious feelings.