Amit Shah is likely to be re-elected as BJP president later this month, following which he is expected to revamp his team. Some fresh faces, including at least one cabinet minister, are likely to be inducted in the organisation.
At least half of the state BJP units will have their new teams in place before the election of the national president, which is scheduled for the end of January.
Senior leaders said Shah would like to have his men in the Uttar Pradesh unit, because elections in that state would be his “biggest challenge”. For UP, which goes to polls next year, the leadership is considering a backward community leader to replace Laxmikant Bajpai. Swatantra Dev Singh, who started his political career in the ABVP and is a prominent face of the UP BJP, is likely to be made state unit chief while Shrikant Sharma, currently a national secretary, could be appointed general secretary in order to promote a Brahmin face.
However, given the party’s debacle in the Bihar, Shah did not have a free hand in appointing his men in all states, and largely gave in to the respective CMs’ choices. While Nandkumar Singh Chauhan got a second term in MP, Rajasthan CM Vasundhara Raje’s loyalist Ashok Parnami was re-elected in the state. The chief of Chhattisgarh unit, Dharamlal Kaushik, was also re-elected. As for Kerala and West Bengal, which go to polls later this year, the RSS’s influence was evident. In Kerala, the party has appointed Hindutva hardliner Kummanam Rajashekharan and in West Bengal, it elevated Dilip Ghosh, who joined the party from the RSS just a year ago.
“Had the BJP won Bihar, he (Shah) would have his own choices. The complaint in Bihar was that the central leadership had imposed its decisions. So he had to give in,” said a party leader.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review