With no let-up in mortar shelling from Pakistan for nearly a week, over a dozen villages along the International Border in R S Pura and Arnia sectors almost turned into ghost villages Thursday with nearly 90 per cent of their residents moving to safer places along with their cattle.
“What is the option when mortar bombs fall on your houses,’’ asked Romesh Lal (45), who along with his two brothers had already shifted their extended family of 16 people from Abdullian village to R S Pura town. The family returned briefly Thursday to take their cattle along. In August, Romesh had lost his younger brother, Pawan, in mortar shelling. His father, Ajeet Singh (85), had lost his arm after getting injured in shelling from across the border. While the family spent more than Rs 3 lakh on Ajeet’s treatment, they only received Rs 75,000 ex-gratia, as fixed by the government for the seriously injured.
With the residential population located less than 500 metre from the zero line, the government had got a community bunker constructed in Abdullian for the villagers. “It can at any given time accommodate maximum of 25-30 people, while the village has a population of nearly 400,’’ said Abdullian resident Ashok Kumar, who lost three buffaloes in Pakistani mortar shelling Tuesday.
In adjoining Chandu Chak village, most homes were locked with nearly 140 families having migrated to safer places. “I have spent most of my hard earned money in constructing and reconstructing this house,’’ said Rachpal Singh, on whose rooftop a mortar shell had created a big crater.
Similarly, most people from various other villages in R S Pura tehsil like Korotana, Vidhipur, Suchetgarh, Jora Farm, Gharana, Khurd, Flora also moved out of their native places. In Arnia, villages like Treva, Jabbowal, Nikkowal, Sai among others, were almost deserted.
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest