The visit comes at a time when the Congress is embroiled in a game of oneupmanship with the Shiv Sena and the BJP in view of the upcoming BMC polls.
“There was nothing political in our meeting. I met him owing to personal relations,” Dutt said after the 30-minute meeting.
- Hotel issued closure notice at Uddhav Thackeray's behest, says opposition
- Shiv Sena to hold internal polls to elect party president in January
- Uddhav Thackeray disagrees with exit polls predicting BJP win in Gujarat
- Shiv Sena will walk out of Maharashtra govt within one year: Aaditya Thackeray
- Uddhav Thackeray came to meet me last week, says Sharad Pawar
- Sonia Gandhi was upset that I met Bal Thackeray during 2012 President poll campaign: Pranab Mukherjee
Thackeray was to hospital last week and was discharged after a coronary angiogram.
The Congress said there was nothing wrong in individuals meeting in a personal capacity.
“I am not aware of the meeting. However, people have a right to meet anyone in personal capacity,” said Mumbai Congress president Sanjay Nirupam.
The Dutts and Thackerays stay in the same suburb of Bandra and share a healthy relationship because of the support the Thackerays extended during the incarceration of Sanjay Dutt in a 1993 bomb blast case.
Bal Thackeray, the then supremo of the Shiv Sena, had gone out of his way to help the actor who is Priya’s elder brother.
WATCH INDIAN EXPRESS VIDEOS HERE
Interestingly, Sanjay Dutt had made an appearance at a BJP event on Maharashtra Day after his release from jail. He had asked voters to increase the seat count of the BJP in the next elections. The Sena and the BJP are also embroiled in a bitter game of oneupmanship.